Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the rear wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I am about ready to replace both rear hub bearings. Looks like I need a torch, was actually concerned that I would need some kind of specialty tool but, sounds like I have just about everything but, the G clamp

Old 01-17-2017, 10:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
I am about ready to replace both rear hub bearings. Looks like I need a torch, was actually concerned that I would need some kind of specialty tool but, sounds like I have just about everything but, the G clamp
After getting the brakes and rotor off, which will be an epic experience if you live in rust belt, you will see the axle nut which is crimped against the detent on the splined shaft.

You need to un-deform the crimped nut. You will need a high performance impact gun that can do about 500lbs reverse torque to undo the nut. After that every thing is pretty straight forward.

I tried 3 breaker bars with life time warranty and they broke and I tried to use hydraulic jack to rotate the bar and it just wouldn't turn that nut.

You need that multiple impact in bursts to loosen that nut. Simple torque won't do it.

Rest is as shown in the FSM.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:08 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by DailyDrivenTJ
After getting the brakes and rotor off, which will be an epic experience if you live in rust belt, you will see the axle nut which is crimped against the detent on the splined shaft.

You need to un-deform the crimped nut. You will need a high performance impact gun that can do about 500lbs reverse torque to undo the nut. After that every thing is pretty straight forward.

I tried 3 breaker bars with life time warranty and they broke and I tried to use hydraulic jack to rotate the bar and it just wouldn't turn that nut.

You need that multiple impact in bursts to loosen that nut. Simple torque won't do it.

Rest is as shown in the FSM.
Thanks for the feed back. I was thinking I could break it with brute force.

Also...the 'O' ring, is that the bearing retainer hub or an actual rubber 'O' Ring?? I can't figure that out from the exploded view.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Thanks for the feed back. I was thinking I could break it with brute force.

Also...the 'O' ring, is that the bearing retainer hub or an actual rubber 'O' Ring?? I can't figure that out from the exploded view.
IIRC the O ring goes between the housing and the bearing assembly. Gotta be careful so that you don't pinch/seat it wrong.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:24 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by DailyDrivenTJ
IIRC the O ring goes between the housing and the bearing assembly. Gotta be careful so that you don't pinch/seat it wrong.
Got it, found them on Atlantic British

Old 01-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

"Tricky dickey" strikes again I see

Old 01-18-2017, 05:28 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
The reason you couldn't find your rotary brass wire brushes...is because you needed them...now that you are done...they will appear out of thin air.

This has been my findings on such things anyway...lol.

Glad it came a part and is making its way back together. Almost time to switch from tea to wine in celebration.

Brian.
Hi Brian, I found the rotary brass wire brushes after I had finished the job by a couple of days, they were in the box marked 'Rotary Wire Brushes' but I never looked there duh!

Old 01-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

You can get it undone with brute force, but its not easy. I end up using a breaker bar and my hi-lift jack every time. Harbor freight has a hi lift for around $55. I got mine from amazon for about the same price. Smittybuilt I think.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I have used a standard 1/2" electric impact gun on mine to remove the nut with no issues. For reinstallation, I used a craftsman breaker bar with a cheater pipe and stood on the breaker bar about where my weight would equal the torque value.

For pulling the hubs, I once used a small sledge on the back of the hub, but the rest of the time used a gear puller, which worked like a champ.

I have also had to use a light coating of RTV on an o-ring to get it to seal. I just smeared it on with my finger.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 01-18-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:37 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Alex_M
You can get it undone with brute force, but its not easy. I end up using a breaker bar and my hi-lift jack every time. Harbor freight has a hi lift for around $55. I got mine from amazon for about the same price. Smittybuilt I think.
I would take some precaution and make sure your body parts are away from flying objects if something breaks and releases the tons literally tons of stored energy.

I broke 3 breaker bars on that nut with hydraulic 3 ton jack. It is pretty scary how that bar bends to store energy. I was about 6 feet away on my belly with 3/4inch plywood shielding my head as I was lifting that breaker bar with the jack.

Quick Reply: Removing the rear wheel bearing