Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....

Hey guys. So i've been dealing with all these removing the factory stereo to a newer one....'problems' I've got my Metra harness, everything looks easy as pie, connect the wires, plug the harness, antenna cable and done. Yep, until you shift to reverse (or just out of park for that matter) then the brake/reverse light fuse blows. However, with the radio installed, I can press my brakes all I want and it does not pop the fuse, only when engaging the shifter. I've got some pics so you can see the wiring is ok.........any suggestions? voodoo water? Until tomorrow, with tomorrows new problems, thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....-photo-1.jpg   Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....-photo-2.jpg   Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....-photo-3.jpg   Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....-photo-4.jpg  
Old 02-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory radio plugged in does it blow?

Last edited by vette427sbc; 02-09-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:12 AM
Three Wheeling

good point. I thought I actually chucked the factory, due to it didn't work properly (thus changing) but looks like i did keep it. Plugged it in, she didn't pop the fuse in reverse/shifting. Guess I can point the finger at the deck, weird cause it worked perfectly fine in the Disco 1 I had....wait a sec, that's it, I moved it into the disco II, curse of the 'II' funny thing is that when I hooked up the factory deck, I didn't have the antenna connector so I had to grab a CD, which I guess I really don't have many anymore, BUT, I did find a Daryl Hall Christmas album I got from Uline for free. Factory unit asked for a 'code' I typed 1234, didn't work. Put the cd in to see if maybe I could just hear that, nope. I don't think I'm every gonna see that Christmas album again.............

Old 02-10-2014, 08:13 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although it is likely the new deck causing the fuse to blow (if its not blowing with the factory radio) I dont see why it would cause that fuse to blow. Smells like voodoo water to me.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

What year DII, and what fuse blows?

Also, can you shoot a better picture of the Main Cable showing the end? Maybe stretch it out so I can see all leads?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure what year your D2 is but here's a guide for the 03-04 wiring. Check the note about the wiring being reversed from the Metra adapter. Do you know what number adapter you have? Also, check all of your wiring again. There is a speed sensor feed to the amp (#20). I suspect you are inadvertently delivering 12V to that line. I also strongly recommend using something other than wire nuts. They belong in houses which are stationary, not vehicles which are moving and subject to vibrations. 2003-2004 Land Rover Discovery with Harmon Kardon Wiring Information

Old 02-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Three Wheeling

thanks. I'll get a pic with my wires and change the wiring to the in line thingy's. Ive got metra harness 70-1786. thanks for all the help and tips guys.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Three Wheeling

So i've look at the Harmon Kardon wiring note and notice that the note pertains to metra harness 70-1785, which ebay has listed for a
METRA 70-1785 SELECTED 1988-95 AUDI/VOLKS WAGON AMP INTEGRATION WIRE HARNESS

whoops. I've got the 70-1786 which says our vehicle. Pretty sure I got that link off here. picsw coming in a sec. Its a 2003 II, brake/reverse light fuse blows Supersport.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Three Wheeling

here's the pics, nothing seems abnormal to me?

Attached Thumbnails Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....-photo-1-1-.jpg   Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....-photo-2-1-.jpg   Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....-photo-3-1-.jpg   Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....-photo-4-1-.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sorry, I wasn't more clear. I meant this one. See if you can spread them out to show both ends and the connections.

Attached Thumbnails Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....-radio.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSport; 02-10-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....