Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha, here's pics. I think we might be zeroing in on the problem. the blue wire mis wired? The wire off the receiver with the blue tag is a blue wire with white line. It looks black (pic 5)in the pic but trust me, it isn't. I didn't put that one through the crimper yet cause I wanted to see what you guys thought. My thought was blue wire to blue wire, this deck has a remote, so wire it up. Wrong?

Attached Thumbnails Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....-photo-1-2-.jpg   Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....-photo-1-3-.jpg   Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....-photo-2-2-.jpg   Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....-photo-2-3-.jpg   Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....-photo-3-2-.jpg  

Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by thegoat
haha, here's pics. I think we might be zeroing in on the problem. the blue wire mis wired? The wire off the receiver with the blue tag is a blue wire with white line. It looks black (pic 5)in the pic but trust me, it isn't. I didn't put that one through the crimper yet cause I wanted to see what you guys thought. My thought was blue wire to blue wire, this deck has a remote, so wire it up. Wrong?
That's the wire I was trying to figure out color on. I'd try it without hooking that up.

When they speak of remote, they mean remote connection in your Vehicle for Antenna and Amp. Not the handheld remote that comes with the new JVC radio.

Last edited by SuperSport; 02-10-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Three Wheeling

ill give it a shot, thanks for your time and help. we'll see.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Your OEM amp does need a remote wire to turn it on. It should be red/blue in the factory harness. The blue remote wire from your head unit should be connected to that wire. The 1786 adapter is the correct one, only it is for RCA outputs instead of line level (speaker level) outputs. For Land Rovers, the 12V constant and the accessory (remote) wires are reversed. I'm pretty sure that's your problem.

Also make sure that the metal barrel within your crimp connectors has been crimped. It looks like your connectors need to get crimped a little more towards the center. Give the wires a tug to make sure their good and secure. Nothing more annoying then having to pull the head unit to deal with a loose connection.

Last edited by 04duxlr; 02-10-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Ad another blown circuit to the pile. just doesn't make sense. got the right harness. radio worked fine in other rover. old factory deck works without blown fuses. If the factory deck really did crap the bed, something wrong with internals, i'd leave it for now but I dont have that option. could the harness be off on two pins?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Your OEM amp does need a remote wire to turn it on. It should be red/blue in the factory harness. The blue remote wire from your head unit should be connected to that wire. The 1786 adapter is the correct one, only it is for RCA outputs instead of line level (speaker level) outputs. For Land Rovers, the 12V constant and the accessory (remote) wires are reversed. I'm pretty sure that's your problem.

Also make sure that the metal barrel within your crimp connectors has been crimped. It looks like your connectors need to get crimped a little more towards the center. Give the wires a tug to make sure their good and secure. Nothing more annoying then having to pull the head unit to deal with a loose connection.
just saw your post after mine. I take another look and see if they are lining up in the harness'. yeah, they needed more crimping, just got done with that. thanks.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Three Wheeling

okay, so I went out and checked, the blue wire on my head unit does line up with the red/blue wire on my factory harness. wish I had another head unit to try, still at step 1 I guess?? any other suggestions?

Last edited by thegoat; 02-10-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by thegoat
okay, so I went out and checked, the blue wire on my head unit does line up with the red/blue wire on my factory harness. wish I had another head unit to try, still at step 1 I guess?? any other suggestions?
Do you know for sure you have a High Line system? The Mid Line system does not have an amp, as far as I can tell. Do you have an AMP under the driver seat? I'd try it without the Blue Wire connected and see if it powers up.

Before you pull it out of park and blow the fuse, does the radio work ok?

Also, maybe try reversing the power wires as 04duxlr mentioned. They are both 12 volt Positive, so I'm not sure why that would blow the circuit, but it's worth a try. As far as I was aware, the Constant lead was to keep memory and the Acc lead was to power up the radio. Reversing them should cause a failure of memory retention, but I don't remember any shorts being caused by that. I could be wrong, and I reserve the right to be so.

EDIT: Do you have the Remote Controls in the REAR of the vehicle for the Fold Down Seat passengers? Do you have a speaker in the REAR DOOR? What model is your DII? S, SE, SE7?

Last edited by SuperSport; 02-11-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Pro Wrench

I'm also just seeing you recently wired in a remote steering wheel adapter. It may also have something to do with this. It's hard to tell without sitting there looking at everything. When you grounded PIN #2 on the Steering Wheel harness, did you remove the pin, or just ADD a ground to it? To me, it reads that the pin #2 should have stayed in the harness, but tap into and ADD the ground to that pin. Again, not sure it has anything to do with this, but who knows. At some point, I'll be adding the ASWC-1 to my vehicle as I really miss the steering wheel controls, so I will be a PRO after that.

Last edited by SuperSport; 02-11-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I hope you have an amp in your system. Otherwise, using preamp outputs from your head unit will make for an eerily quiet sound system.

Quick Reply: Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....