Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
I hope you have an amp in your system. Otherwise, using preamp outputs from your head unit will make for an eerily quiet sound system.
Yep... That's why I'm wondering if everything works before blowing the fuse.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Do you know for sure you have a High Line system? The Mid Line system does not have an amp, as far as I can tell. Do you have an AMP under the driver seat? I'd try it without the Blue Wire connected and see if it powers up.

Before you pull it out of park and blow the fuse, does the radio work ok?

Also, maybe try reversing the power wires as 04duxlr mentioned. They are both 12 volt Positive, so I'm not sure why that would blow the circuit, but it's worth a try. As far as I was aware, the Constant lead was to keep memory and the Acc lead was to power up the radio. Reversing them should cause a failure of memory retention, but I don't remember any shorts being caused by that. I could be wrong, and I reserve the right to be so.

EDIT: Do you have the Remote Controls in the REAR of the vehicle for the Fold Down Seat passengers? Do you have a speaker in the REAR DOOR? What model is your DII? S, SE, SE7?
I looked under the seat and see an Harmon amp. I have a SE disco, no rear seat radio controls, I do have a rear speaker in the 'trunk' door.

Tried it with out the blue wire and didn't work, that wire needs to be connects to get sound out of the speakers. The radio works before I pull it out of park--before the fuse blows--and it continues to work after the brake light/reverse light blows, however it doesn't sound 'pumpin' an I have to turn it up to '50' but I still wouldn't be annoying anyone to bad, really not that loud. Seems the rear speaker does not engage while the stereo 'is working'?

reversing the 'power wire' I'm a little confused on. Which ones do I switch?
I did have a Axxcess Steering control set up but since I was having this trouble I pulled it out (thinking that might be the problem) and am gonna leave it out until I figure this out. I bought an extra harness to harvest the pins from that one an install then on this harness. I wasn't able to remove the ground pin of that one so it stayed in an goes direct to another ground. The 'green' wire, which is the only wire we have to hook up besides power and ground, I was able to pull out with pin intact an put to the side until.... Thanks for the ?'s and time guys appreciate it, was thinking during school (and Im 42 years old!!) and work today about it, guh... :-)

I should also add the reason why I pulled the factory radio so quick (have had the disco II less than a couple of weekish) is because the radio would constantly scan and you could only stop the scanning by hitting this one button (i forget now) and then it might start randomly scanning again. It couldn't hold any memory either so I had to play this game every time I started the truck up. I read the manual an tried to program it but the radio would not respond, thus let's pull it and......

Last edited by thegoat; 02-11-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:55 PM
Three Wheeling

heys guys, just giving this a bump and seeing if anyone had and light to shed on this.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by thegoat
heys guys, just giving this a bump and seeing if anyone had and light to shed on this.
I'm sorry, I've been mostly stuck on my phone and not my computer, so haven't had enough time to study all the wiring diagrams to try to figure this out. I'm having a hard time making the connection between shifter and radio, but haven't given up yet. I'll try to get more time tomorrow...

Old 02-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by thegoat
...brake/reverse light fuse blows Supersport.
What number is the fuse you are referring to? I'm trying to make the connection from radio to blown reverse light fuse on the Wiring Diagrams.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Three Wheeling

it is F 25, 15 amp. thanks for the help.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:24 PM
Three Wheeling

just so I got this correct. I've done everything correct, bought the right harness, connected everything correct but what might be effed up is the harness is miswired/switched? If this is so, how can mentra sell these harness' as a fit? Am I just the lucky guy who got a bad harness? Just unreal that this has happened to only me???

Old 02-20-2014, 10:32 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Car Audio techs don't lurk Land Rover forums.

You might try some pro car audio forums and do a search.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks dave. Just thought that most of everyone here has switched out the radio and might have ran into this problem too, guess not, lucky me :-)

Old 02-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Pro Wrench

I apologize I have not figured this out yet. I'm not even sure I'll be able to. I do look at the wiring diagrams when I get a chance, but as you know if you've looked at them, it takes a bit of concentration to follow them and understand where everything is going. I'm looking at the Rover Wiring, Radio Wiring, and Harness Wiring diagrams. I'm not yet finding your issue with the searches I've done on the diagrams. It appears you are connected properly so far. I still don't understand the connection between radio and pulling out of park.

Quick Reply: Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....