Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Light Fuse blows....only when Metra Radio harness is plugged in....

Old 02-23-2014, 01:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no worries an thanks supersport, you've been more than helpful. Im thinking of buying and oem stereo and just hooking in and going with that. Yeah it's really strange why it does that with the aftermarket stereo. voodoo stuff like someone mentioned earlier.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:01 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

There is no "voodoo stuff." There is a reason.

Either a power wire to ground or a ground wire compromised somewhere.

Sorry you can't figure it out but these things don't happen for no good reason.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Three Wheeling

Hey guys, finally figured it out. It was the deck. Got a new one from crutchfield, which also contained the correct information about switching the red and yellow wires cause the harness was wired wrong. Was just so confusing how it worked in my D1 but not the D2, oh well. Works great. Thanks to all who tried to help me out, much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:35 PM
Drifting

Just posted this on your other thread, Goat, but wanted to put it here too in case anyone finds this threat using the Search function.

I'm having the EXACT same problem.

I have a 2003 Land Rover Discovery II HSE7, with factory Navigation system. After installing an aftermarket radio and Metra wiring harness it keeps blowing a fuse every time I put it in reverse.

I spoke with Justin at Crutchfield tech support last night to verify I had the correct harness, and ran some tests on the vehicle wiring today.

Turns out the issue is with the Metra / Axxess ASWC-1 module. The instructions for my vehicle (pulled right from the website) says to connect Pin 2 from the vehicle harness to a chassis ground (like 'vette mentioned). Turns out Pin 2 is a +12v signal from the reverse switch, so that basically shorts out the system and blows the fuse for the reverse and tail / brake lights.

This being the case, I don't see how a new head unit will solve the problem unless you decided to ditch the ASWC-1 and just not use the steering wheel controls (which is what I'm doing for now until I figure this out. Head unit is working fine without it.)

There must be something different on the HSE7, maybe due to the Nav system or something else, that uses the reverse input from Pin 2 for some other purpose. I'm not terribly happy with damaging my truck's wiring harness due to faulty directions provided by Metra / Axxess for their own product.

Sent their Tech Support an email today, will hopefully figure this out. In the meantime, I'm going to dig through the RAVE wiring diagrams and see if I can figure out what's going on.

-Tim

Old 12-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Drifting

Ok, I believe I've narrowed down the problem. The Discovery II with High-Line radio option (factory Nav system) does not have the same wiring harness pinout as the standard Disco II with the base and mid-level radio. Pin 2 on the high-line option is a reverse signal input to the Nav system.

If you look in the RAVE, Section 4.148 (starting on page 179), it gives the details of each radio option.

The gray/black and gray/red wires, which are Pin 2 and Pin 3 (respectively) on the instruction sheet, are not located on the gray connector identified in the ASWC-1 instruction sheet. The RAVE does specify those same two wires as being for the steering wheel control, I just have to find them.

I remember seeing a third (blue) connector for the Nav system, I am guessing this is where those two wires are. I will take my dash apart again tomorrow to confirm.

-Tim

Old 12-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Drifting

Ok, here is the correct way to wire an ASWC-1 steering wheel controller to the '03-'04 Land Rover Discovery II with the factory Navigation system.

There is a little metal box bolted underneath the metal bracket behind the dash. This was part of the High-Line audio package. The gray/red and gray/black wires from the steering wheel control (pin #2 and pin #3 on the original ASWC-1 instructions) actually go into this box, not into the gray connector shown in the sheet.

The gray/black wire is pin #2, and the gray/red wire is pin #5. The pin numbers are actually marked on the front of the connector, with really small numbers near each hole. From there, the wiring is basically the same as before: Pin #2 (gray/black) to ground, Pin #5 (gray/red) to the white/green wire on ASWC-1

I'll let the thread die now, but hopefully it helps someone out in the future.

Cheers.

-Tim

Old 11-24-2015, 03:17 PM
4wd Low
Default Need some help with a Pioneer

My 2001 Discovery 2 is a High-Line Entertainment system with rear headphones and an amp under the seat, it's a LEAR aMP not a Harman-Kardon but I assume it's the same wring only with a lower rate audio components.

I have this Pioneer AVH-X5700BSH I would like to fit, 2 din need some adjustments...

Regarding the Metra harness, do I need the

1786 - http://d2stobyut4u5rx.cloudfront.net.../120701786.PDF

or the

1784 - http://d2stobyut4u5rx.cloudfront.net.../120701784.PDF

1786 has a Blue/white Amp turn on wire, I'm not sure how to connect.

1999-2001 Land Rover Discovery with Harmon Kardon Wiring Information

Old 11-25-2015, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You want the 1786. The pre-outs from your new head unit are probably lower voltage than the OEM one so the volume may be lower. You can also use the 1784 but then you will need use line-level converters to get the signal down low enough to keep it from distorting.

The blue wire on the head unit connects to the blue trigger wire on the adapter. This wire will connect to the #5 pin on the factory harness which is the remote trigger for the antenna and the amplifier.