Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review: Independant Rover Repair Shop - San Francisco Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: Independant Rover Repair Shop - San Francisco Bay Area

Ed Wright's British Car Repair[/align][/align]Located in San Rafael, CA. http://www.britishcarrepair.com/homepage.html[/align][/align]I wanted to take my Discovery to a reputable LR mechanic for a post-purchase inspection.I found a glowing recommendation forthis shopon: http://www.rangerovers.net/service/w...alifornia.html[/align][/align]When I called late afternoon to make the appointment I dealt with Clint Wright (the shop owner) and he booked me in for the following morning. I needed to go to the DMV that day too, and asked if they could drop me off after I dropped off the truck. Clint agreed and said that he could do theroad testat the same time. [/align][/align]When I arrived at the shop I noticed they were working on a variety of older british cars: 50's era Jaguar MK IX getting a rebuilt engine, late 70's/early 80'sera Rolls Royce, Triumph TR6, a Morris Minor and an old series LR outside. So, I was beginning to think; wow, these guys seem to specialize in the old and simple brit cars, I wonder if they're up to snuff on the complexities ofa modern Land Rover. [/align][/align]So I asked to see the Rovacom diagnostic system that they reportedly have. Having never seen this device before, in my mind I had pictured something akin to one of those huge Sun tester machines with umbilical cords all over the place. So I was quite surprised to see the little tablet PC in a leather binder that Clint pulled out. He hooked it up to my Discovery and handed me the tablet PCwith a stylus and off we went on the DMV/test ride. So, with Clint's guidance,I'm sitting there in the passenger seat with the $15,000 Rovacom on my lap running through various tests and checking for trouble codes, while we are driving!!! - Amazing![/align][/align]He droppedme off at the DMV at about 11am, and at 2pm my Discovery was ready with a 100% clean bill of health (other than needing new tires). No trouble codes, no leaks, no worrisome noises, no signs of anything wrong whatsoever![/align][/align]And for that I only had to pay $128. Not bad considering the personable service I received. The owner himself worked on my vehicle, drove me to the DMV and allowed me to play around with a very expensive piece of diagnostic equipment. Plus, I got a 5% discount for mentioning the online referal from rangerovers.net.[/align][/align]Excellent, personableservice...way beyond the cash-cow treatment I've experienced with dealerships in the past. If you own a Rover (or any brit car for that matter) and live anywhere in the San Francisco bay area, give Ed Wright's British Car Repair a try. I'll definitely be going back there.[/align]

Old 10-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: Review: Independant Rover Repair Shop - San Francisco Bay Area

Congrats on finding a good Indy. They are far and few between. We have a couple in Stl. but nothing from what you described.

Be sure to think of them when making out your holiday cards or when yo have extra 49er tickets; etc.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Review: Independant Rover Repair Shop - San Francisco Bay Area

For anyone looking for a good independant Rover shop in the Phoenix, AZ area - Rover Techs just opened up in Scottsdale and was started by two guys from Land Rover North Scottsdale who quit and decided to open up their own shop. Both of them are L/R master techs. Very good work, they know Rovers inside and out and their rates are about half what LRNS charges.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for your auto repair shop as I am looking to repair my car and want some highly skilled mechanics with some good auto repair reviews for them. As they should also have complete knowledge on different parts.

auto repair reviews

Old 04-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

So wait...

You wrote a review about a guy with a shop that did not do any work to your car. But he let you play with his computer and drove you to the dmv so you give him 2 thumbs up?

That's like the paper giving a restaurant 4 stars because they took reservations and the sign outside looks good

edit: omg nevermind this post was made 23 years ago

Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RMT...I'd visit you if i was still in nyc...i got mine from princeton like a zillion years ago.