Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Arm Assembly - 2001 Disco II SE

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rocker Arm Assembly - 2001 Disco II SE

I had replaced head gaskets on my 01 disco II and had soaked my rocker arm assemblies in mineral spirits to remove the varnish. When they dried, they became stiff and despite oiling them, they remained too tight. I disassembled and cleaned them, which freed them up.

My problem is that in originally looking at them, they did not appear to have a specific assembly requirement. Once I had them apart, I noticed that the rocker arms themselves have an oiler hole on one side of the inner ring that must be assembled so that they are closest to the bolt post on either side. The rod itself has two oiler holes in roughly the same position at each pair of rockers. These holes are slightly offset from centerline of the rod and I thought the correct installation was to put these holes below center and facing toward the intake side of the engine. My reasoning was that if I put the holes above centerline of the shaft rod, then oil would have to completely fill the rod before it would exit the holes and must constantly remain full in order for the rockers to be continually oiled. I also faced the holes toward the intake side because in the other direction or toward the plugs, they would be opposite the oiler holes on the rockers themselves.

I'm not so sure which way is correct and before I button it up, I want to be certain that I have the rocker arm assemblies installed correctly to avoid having to take it back down to that extent.

Has anyone ever disassembled the rockers arms and can you tell me whether I have them installed correctly? I can't seem to locate and exploded view of them anywhere to make the determination.

thanks

Old 03-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes there is a specific way they need to be assembled. There is an indent stamped into the end of each rod. That slash needs to be pointing a certain direction once assembled and installed. If not, you'll have no oil flow. I think there are only two different ways it can go. I can't tell you which way off hand, but I'm pretty sure it tells you in the RAVE. I look it up when if I get a chance.

Last edited by jkid; 03-13-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Ensure shaft identification groove is postitioned at one o'clock, with push rod locations of rocker arms to the right. Oil feed restriction will result if rocker shafts are incorrectly assembled."

Old 03-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Three Wheeling

thanks for the replies. I lucked out and had the rods installed correctly.

I do have a question. I pulled the coils wires loose from the coils without keeping track of their position. I'm aware of the cylinders at 1-3-5-7 and 2-4-6-8 and the manual says that the coils are paired 1-6, 8-5, 4-7, 3-2, but it does not indicate where on the coil packs these pairs are placed.

Does anyone know where there's a pic or drawing of the coils in place and how the pairs are arranged on the coils?

Sorry, but this is my first time working on an engine and frankly, I'm amazed I got it back together this far. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a search of Firing order brought up this thread.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...t=firing+order

Old 03-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rlrigsby
Does anyone know where there's a pic or drawing of the coils in place and how the pairs are arranged on the coils?
http://www.roverparts.com/TechTips/b...onnections.cfm

Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Also before puting this all back together, measure each push rod and make sure wear has not shorten any by wearing down one or both ball ends, also inspect each lift and cam lobe for hardened surface wear and replace if found.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Three Wheeling

thanks for the replies and the links!

Mike,

thanks for the advice. I purchased all new pushrods and lifters. The cam surface itself appeared to be okay. I had replaced the lifters because one of the ***** was missing from a pushrod and it damaged the inside of the lifter, so I replaced all rods and lifters.

Russell

Old 11-27-2018, 05:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Are Discovery 2 push rods the sa?'me on each end? Is it possible to put them in "upside down?" I went to the trouble of labeling them on disassembly, and it occurred to me (after the fact) that is is odd to label them so the wear matches, but them install them with perhaps the other end up.