Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotoflex vs. U-Joint

Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Rotoflex vs. U-Joint

My oil seal on my rear differential is leaking. While I'm in there I will be changing the rotoflex as well.

However, is there any advantage to the U-Joint conversion other than not ever having to replace the rotoflex?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talk with the people at GBR Utah and get yourself an HD driveshaft.

Advantage? Peace of mind.

Home

Old 04-15-2014, 06:53 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

There is a good reason for the Rotoflex coupling which is to absorb the different drive shocks between the front and rear driveshafts and any differential anomalies between them. Take this away and the shock stresses are directly transferred to the drivetrain and differentials at both ends, particularly offroading.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I too like the rotoflex. mainly, for the reasons France stated.flexible forgiveness.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:30 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

What do you plan to use your DII for? Are you going to off road it with any kind of frequency. If the answer is yes then, perhaps, the conversion might make sense.

However, if you're using your DII the way most people use their cars, stick with the rotoflex. The cost of a conversion, especially if you're not up to doing the work yourself, will cost more than a few rotoflex units. Think about it, the one you're getting ready to replace is likely the original and has lasted 14 years. I'd say a 14 year lifespan amounts to peace of mind and the advantage is you save money for more important repairs. A new rotoflex will likely outlast the vehicle.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for all the input, but what advantages over the rotoflex would the u-joint setup provide for off-road purposes?

Currently this is my Daily Driver, I do take it offroad some...kind of babied it at SCARR this year as it was my first event and didn't want to have to hitch a ride home in the Princess Truck (Dusty's)...

Anyway the future of this rig will be for hunting and off roading...so I was just curious.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

If you're planning serious off-roading, I would unquestionably go with the conversion. The four bolt flange conversion and a rear prop shaft with u-joints at each end are far more desirable. So you wind up with a u-joint where a rubber coupler once was. You get the inherent strength of the u-joint replacing the softer, more compliant rotoflex. Under use, off-road, it is conceivable that you could tear the rubber coupler. It has happened.

If it's going to be your daily driver with only modest excursions off-road, I would say keep what you have. Replace the rotoflex and forget about it. People like to spend money that they don't have to and over build a truck that was remarkably capable straight from the factory. I'm of the school of thought that would rather keep money on hand for more serious issues, especially if this is your daily driver.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Paul, that was what I was looking for.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

ah Ralph, princess truck would have been happy to tow you. but that box of spares on my roof would have patched you up for a lone star.
u joint = more free movement and I have seen rf damaged from contact, pretty good.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

After 11 years and 120K of hard driven miles, 20K of which heavy towing (2.5-3.5 tons) I'd say the Rotoflex was a pretty good answer to any UJ and although it had some cracks in it, it was still serviceable. I know what I'd be putting back and prefer to change anytime and it's not a UJ and also a good GKN Rotoflex doesn't need any greasing or servicing. But everyone to their own, but I must agree to disagree on this occasion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rotoflex vs. U-Joint