Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sai pump makes wierd sound

Old 08-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
C0570 - pin 3 , black/orange - ground this momentarily and pump should turn on. This wire goes to ECU, where a ground is switched on/off to operate relay. Don't unplug, just shove a ground lead on it or pierce insulation with a straight pin. Should hear relay click in and pump run.

See pix.
Is this from the RAVE Manual?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you hear the high pitch hair drier/jet engine sound then its working but the housings loose/cracked or rivets are stretched. If you ONLY hear the deep exhuast leak noise and the SAI pump is plugged in, but it goes away after 30 seconds to a minute or so, then at least 1 of the vac solenoids are working properly, just not the pump. If you hear the SAI pump whine AND exhuast leak sound, then the exhuast tubing is lose or cracked somewhere. Hope this helps... no need to start disecting wires yet lol

Old 08-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
C0570 - pin 3 , black/orange - ground this momentarily and pump should turn on. This wire goes to ECU, where a ground is switched on/off to operate relay. Don't unplug, just shove a ground lead on it or pierce insulation with a straight pin. Should hear relay click in and pump run.

See pix.
So I just did this (see above) the relay clicked and power went to the pump.

The relay is good but the pump? Not so much.
It made a very short bad bearing whine and then a humm - I think it's shot.

But at least the circuit is complete and I know what caused the SES - a dead SAI pump.

Thanks again for your help everyone, now I'll go peruse the local ditches looking for pop-cans to help pay for the new pump.
- Paul.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Did you open the pump housing yet to see if its just clogged with debris or rotted filter material?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Mudding

Not yet, I just got back from vacation and haven't had a chance yet. It's tops on the list though. I don't like rolling around with the SES light on.
I'll let you know.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle

true lol... mines been disconnected since the begining of the summer cause I couldn't take the vac cleaner noise anymore lol... I just check 1ce a week to make sure no NEW codes appear heh

Old 08-14-2012, 04:51 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

the SAI sounds like a small shop vac. 20,000 rpm or so.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Mudding

I pulled the pump off yesterday and took it apart.
The filter is perfect and the housing has minimal flex in it.

I drilled out the grommets so I could access the face of the fan, took off the back of the motor to see the connectors and when I spun the fan, well..... it was seized.

I connected the circuit with the test light and i could hear the motor trying to break the bearing free but there was nothing going on.

I continued to drop drops of Royal Purple Max Film on the bearing, waited 5 minutes and was able to break loose the bearing from it's seized state.

I re-connected the plug and tried the pump again, the bad bearing noise was there but at least it was working.
I sprayed a little more Max Film and waited a while longer after another few minutes I plugged in the pump and it was even quieter!
It was working perfectly for almost 2 minutes and then it started heating up something brutal and then the bearing noise got continuously worse; but the fact that it was still going was pretty amazing.

I noticed a lot of "end play" on the center shaft of the fan and I think the bearings are dry and probably heavily pitted/damaged and after I put the covers back on and plugged it in for a final trial it sounded like the fan was dancing around within the plastic housing.
After it started to heat up again I just shut it off.

R.I.P SAI - Guess I'm due a call to Atlantic.....

Old 08-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Mudding
Old 08-16-2012, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

should be a tech sticky.... looks like a good find.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sai pump makes wierd sound