Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seems I'm in need for a Power Steering Pump... which one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seems I'm in need for a Power Steering Pump... which one?

Need a pump... but the prices are ALL over the place. The dealership I think wanted my first born for it, so they are out. But other then that, I have prices all over the map. I just installed a radiator, fan clutch, o2's etc. so moneys tight, and other then the class I'm takin until June, I drive about 3 miles 5 days a week commute, so I'm going reman unless the price is really right.

Atlantic British wants $399
Utah wants $399, on sale now $350, or $250 plus core for reman
Rockauto has a cardone reman for $126 plus core w 3 year warranty
OR a ATSCO reman for $170 plus core.
Roverland has reman $295 sale $236
OR new $395 sale $316.

Any reason I SHOULDNT get the Cardone for $126? Or two and keep one as a spare? lol

Anyone have complaints, compliments on one over the other? Anyone else know of any sources other then the three big above I should look at? Lucky8 doesnt seem to list them... thier site is horrible anyway so I might have just missed it.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
Lucky8 doesnt seem to list them... thier site is horrible anyway so I might have just missed it.
Yes the site is horrible but soon it will be a lot better.
We have OEM pumps for $290 and they come with a 2 year warranty.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got mine at autozone for about 140 I think. I had them price match AdvanceAuto to get it that cheap though. I am unsure of the brand but It has a lifetime warranty so who cares. It's an easy replacement so if it does fail again it isn't gonna cost me a dime. Just about and hour of my time. I keep my trucks so long I LOVE lifetime warranty parts!

Old 04-17-2014, 12:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kfx4001442
Got mine at autozone for about 140 I think. I had them price match AdvanceAuto to get it that cheap though. I am unsure of the brand but It has a lifetime warranty so who cares. It's an easy replacement so if it does fail again it isn't gonna cost me a dime. Just about and hour of my time. I keep my trucks so long I LOVE lifetime warranty parts!

I bought the same one. Honestly I would have rather gotten an OEM one, it lasted 12 years, and the new OEM should last another 12 years. The ZatoZone one is crap, its already whining after 9 months, and I'll have to replace it soon. I don't care about warranty honestly, I don't want to continue replacing crap. but every reman pump is different, sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you get a bad one.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the reman Cardone from Rockauto, should be here tomorrow unless Fedex doesnt deliver on Good Friday. Any tips on doing the swap in an hour? Does the AC compressor and fan have to come out or can it be done from below.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

it can be done from above w/o removing fan, but you will need to remove a/c compressor. I'm about as shade-tree as they come, and I got this one done in a couple of hours at a casual pace. pretty straightforward, check the video on it if you haven't already. make sure to bleed the system after install. have fun!

Old 04-17-2014, 07:55 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 04-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Winching

Allmakes has recently had a large batch of bad pumps. I'd rather not explain how I know. Anyways if anyone does buy an allmakes pump make sure it's their more expensive one with 2yr warranty and not the cheaper one. I talked with Eric at Lucky8 earlier this week and they are supposed to have the new batch in next week.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fan shroud,
Fan,
Serp belt,
loosen ps pump pulley bolts,
Ace pump bolts come out (if you have),
Ac compressor bolts come out,
Slide them aside, dont disconnect lines,
The metal accessory plate/holder/mount thing i dont remember it having to come off,
Pull the ps pulley off,
Three bolts holding the pump iirc.
Then torque everything to spec in reverse order,
Then do it all again next year.

Thats the majority of what your going to do. Pretty easy.

Last edited by Dane!; 04-18-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Rock Crawling

Ive had mine on for about 3 months and so far cannot tell a difference from the OEM one. I hope it lasts longer than a year though. But if it doesnt, at least I know I have invested ALL the money I will ever have to invest in this maint item for the rest of my life. I get a good feeling knowing that, and so far
have had nothing but good expirences from Autozone reman parts... and Dane! has the procedure listed pretty well above.

Quick Reply: Seems I'm in need for a Power Steering Pump... which one?