Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sided/Handed or Matched OME Springs

Old 04-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sided/Handed or Matched OME Springs

As far as sided/handed springs are concerned, has anyone installed the “matched” OME spring setups offered by either GBR or Expedition Exchange? I am in the market for a lift (plan on going OME), will be installing it myself (with the help of a friend with some experience doing springs/shocks) and would like to try and ensure that my vehicle sits level afterwards (as it pretty much does today with the stock springs still installed; yes, I’m overdue). I see a lot of people on here buy their spring/shock kits from Justin @ Lucky8 (I am originally from Western NY, so would love to support them) and although his website states that “sided” springs are included within the kits planned to give him a call to see if “matched” springs were possible. Yeah, I may just be overthinking all this.

So I guess my question is: If you installed a lift with “matched” OME springs, did your vehicle sit level afterwards? OR any issues with getting it to sit level after doing a lift with "sided/handed" OME springs?

Yes, I do have other questions, but for now (this thread) trying to first figure out if I should try and go with “matched” OME springs since that option is available. I plan to pair them with new NitroCharger Sport Shocks.

Great forum and thanks in advance for any/all feedback.

GBR website states:
“Australia is a right hand drive country and follows Land Rovers tradition of sided springs (drivers side vs passenger side). We feel that sided springs have no benefit for a left hand drive Land Rover so we match all of our OME springs as either all drivers side or all passenger side. They differ in free height by 10 mm. Failure to do so can result in a vehicle that does not sit level.”

Expedition Exchange website states:
“The DS and PS designations denote "Driver Side" and "Passenger Side". Most Old Man Emu springs are "handed" and intended to be installed to a specific side of the vehicle. We have found this system can work on the Defenders but does not work well on the Discoveries, Range Rover Classics, and P38 Range Rovers. These vehicles usually list toward the passenger side when fitted with handed springs. To avoid having your vehicle look like a torpedoed steamer, we sell our springs matched from side to side. In other words, the springs you purchase from us will be both DS or both PS. We believe that the matching of springs generally results in a more level vehicle but provide the DS and PS length specifications for those customers who wish to stay with Old Man Emu's recommendations. Upon request, we can ship you "unmatched springs", i.e., a pair of springs with PS and DS springs. “

Old 04-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

When talking about the factory springs:

D1 in the Left Hand Drive has different springs side to side.

D2 in LHD uses the same springs side to side.

So I'd be tempted to get matched springs for a D2 and the default springs for a D1, if that's an option.

I will say that I used the different springs from terrafirma on my D2, and I didn't have any issues with it sitting funny.