Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMELL ANTI-FREEZE or SOMETHING

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMELL ANTI-FREEZE or SOMETHING

I just drove my discovery from Cali to Maine. Boy is it cold in Maine. Nearing the end of my trip i started to notice what to me smells like anti-freeze in the air. I looked under the hood with the vehicle running and the only thing i noticed was my power sterring / corner stabilizing thing was actually bubbling or boiling??? My temp guages are fine and no lights yet i always seem to smell anti-freeze or something in the air. Any comments???? Gordon

Old 01-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: SMELL ANTI-FREEZE or SOMETHING

I have a similar issue with my 2001 Disco II. I add about a 1/2 gallon of coolant to my Disco every week. It seems to be a slow leak but then at times I can add 1/2 gallon every other day. I smell sweet coolant when I get out of the car and in the morning when I turn on the car I have heavy smoke coming from the tail pipe that smells like coolant, then it goes away. If you or any other readers have any thought they would be great!

Is you car getting any SES codes or running rough, I ask because mine is and the shop thought it might be due to collant in the cylinder.

-Thanks and sorry I couldn't help.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Three Wheeling

My rover runs great. And as i said i see no leaks, but i smell the coolant in the air. Lets hope we get some response. I do worry, but do not want to take it to the dealer and get charged an arm and both legs for nothing. I also have a 2001 Discovery Series II.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You both are prime candidates for a head gasket replacement job (duckhunteryolo is probably also needing a heater core changeout)

Cost at an average shop is $1600-$1800. Parts cost is approx $275.00 of that.

With Land Rovers ---it is not a matter of if you are going to have to replace the head gaskets, it is more a matter of when.........

I have the most complete head gasket kit on the web for $187.50 --- it includes the head bolts (which are actually stretch bolts), the self-sealing valve cover screws,(upper plenum gasket for Bosch engines adds $12.00)exhaust flange studs, and the exhaust jam nuts. These items cost extra with all the other head gasket kits out there.

Read my tech info pages at www.eurotekapg.com for a primer on Land Rover problem areas.

regards,
Geoman
www.eurotakapg.com

Old 01-30-2007, 12:22 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Geoman for the tips and your website is great, although it scared the heck outta me! I think that's good though, as I'll know to be aggressive on the maintenance onour critter crawler..... Better find a good rover mechanic in the Dallas / Ft Worth area soon!

Old 01-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Overlanding

Thak you Geoman and Ggushee- I am assuming it is the head gasket like you say. It has an appointment for the shop mid-week. I will ask about the heater core also.
-thanks

Old 01-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Anyone smelling coolant and or having to add coolant, should not drive it any more then necessary till you find the leak. Have the coolant system pressure tested and possibly chemically tested for leaking head gaskets.
Do this ASAP or you could incure a much more expensive repair.
Mike

Old 01-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Overlanding

Well I just got the call, here in Sacramento, Ca. and it looks like I have not one but two blown head gaskets. I hope the sleeves haven't dropped! Sounds like I will be holding onto this car for a lot longer than I had imagined. It is going to cost a lot more than I had hoped. Estimated cost is around 2500.00 give or take a couple of hundred. lets hope it is fixable and I don't need a new engine!

On a side note I had this car into the dealer not more than two weeks ago for rough idle so I had them put on new plugs and wires. The same codes were showing that were showing when I took it into the shop I have it at now (cylinder #5 &6 misfire and running rough) even after the wires were changed. Funny thing is, the dealer did not mention that there might be an issue with coolant in the head or the head gaskets...go figure!

Old 01-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

BUMMERR!!!
How many miles on your truck, is a dealer doing the repair or a Rover shop. Make sure whoever does the work looks at the heads for a possible resurface.
Good luck,
Mike

Old 01-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Three Wheeling

I smell coolant, but i have not had to add any coolant to the system. I see no leaks anywhere. But i do smell coolant once in a while. So, you think i need to have my head casket replaced? Thanks, Gordon

Quick Reply: SMELL ANTI-FREEZE or SOMETHING