Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spare tire carrier invert - tip.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default spare tire carrier invert - tip.

So I flipped the spare tire carrier on my 2003 D2 last night and I thought I would share a quick tip for anyone else who might be doing this.

The bolt on the top of the drivers side is longer than the rest of them and needs to be put back in the original hole it came from. The rest are all the same size. Also I used washers on the inside which were not on there originally.

The whole thing took me maybe 45min in 10 degree whether. Instead of cutting a slot for the wiper arm, I just pulled the wiper arm off and rolled it clock wise 2 notches. This way it doesn't hit the carrier and it actually wipes move of the windshield now.

If anyone has any questions on how to do this let me know while its still fresh on my mind.

P.S. - I got about 1.5in more clearance so I am pretty sure you can now fit up to a 33in tire on the stock carrier.

The following users liked this post:
longshot (03-14-2018)
Old 01-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did mine the other day as well, took no time at all, although I cut a slot for the wiper coz if it dont "park" horizontally straight, it would annoy me lol !!

And just for info ref what you said about tyre size, Mines hanging a 265/75-16 Cooper STT on it which is 32" and there is literally no more than 10mm MAX gap to the bumper, so I very much doubt a 33" tyre would fit.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
I did mine the other day as well, took no time at all, although I cut a slot for the wiper coz if it dont "park" horizontally straight, it would annoy me lol !!

And just for info ref what you said about tyre size, Mines hanging a 265/75-16 Cooper STT on it which is 32" and there is literally no more than 10mm MAX gap to the bumper, so I very much doubt a 33" tyre would fit.
Yeah noticed that today, but no big deal for me and it actual does wipe more viewable area this way. My thoughts were that cutting that piece out might weaken the carrier and you are adding more weight with the larger tire too. I also put a flat washer and crush washer on the inside to add some more strength. It looked like the nuts were almost pulling through before. I read that the carriers have actually rotted out before so I wanted to be careful.

As for size, I will meet you in the middle and say 32.5in tire will fit. I will be mounting my 275/65/18 DuraTrac Monday which is 32.1in, so I am pretty sure I will be good too.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:36 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default center holes match

Gday,

I will do it today to fit my 265/75/16. I read somewhere that the center holes for the bolts do not match when inverting the carrier. Is that so?? If this is the case, would two bolts be enough to hold the tire or it is absolutely necessary to drill?

Gracias!
Alfredo

Originally Posted by rj95lss
So I flipped the spare tire carrier on my 2003 D2 last night and I thought I would share a quick tip for anyone else who might be doing this.

The bolt on the top of the drivers side is longer than the rest of them and needs to be put back in the original hole it came from. The rest are all the same size. Also I used washers on the inside which were not on there originally.

The whole thing took me maybe 45min in 10 degree whether. Instead of cutting a slot for the wiper arm, I just pulled the wiper arm off and rolled it clock wise 2 notches. This way it doesn't hit the carrier and it actually wipes move of the windshield now.

If anyone has any questions on how to do this let me know while its still fresh on my mind.

P.S. - I got about 1.5in more clearance so I am pretty sure you can now fit up to a 33in tire on the stock carrier.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by MuletCRCR
Gday,

I will do it today to fit my 265/75/16. I read somewhere that the center holes for the bolts do not match when inverting the carrier. Is that so?? If this is the case, would two bolts be enough to hold the tire or it is absolutely necessary to drill?

Gracias!
Alfredo
You are correct the center 2 bolt holes do NOT line up when you flip the carrier. Stock there are 6 bolts holding it on.

You can either drill 2 holes in the mount and the steel spacer between the mount and the door, this way you use 6 bolts. Or you can just use the 4 bolts on the corners that will match up. Obviously it will not be quite as strong if you only use 4, especially with a larger size/weight tire than stock.

Whatever you do at least put some washers on the inside to add strength and possibly spreed the weight out a little.

Good Luck-

Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's the benefit of flipping it?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 04BluDisco
what's the benefit of flipping it?
Raises the tire. Gives you more clearance for larger tires.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Wolkesan
Raises the tire. Gives you more clearance for larger tires.
Plus this way you don't have to pay $100 for a plate that will add more room. But the plate then adds more weight and makes your tire hang further off the truck causing more stress on the carrier.

If you are staying under a 33in tire this is the way to go. And its FREE...

Old 09-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i finally flipped my spare carrier this weekend, to fit a 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler AT.

Panzer's site has a nice writeup: http://www.discovery2.co.uk/spare_carrier.html

i used a buddy's drill press, the carrier is quite sturdy, would be tough to do with a cordless drill.

I didnt do the cutout for the wiper, the slightly inverted angle doesn't bother me at all (in fact, I think it's funny that it could bother someone).

I broke 5 clips ripping out the panel, and then had to pay $2 each at the dealer...would have been more careful if I had known the price.

below is a pic to show clearance, the tire is brand new. a 33" tire would close!