Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously????

Old 06-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Seriously????

So I am looking to change out my aux fans (another thread running on that) but I am looking at the RAVE and it says I have to remove the radiator and then get to the whole condenser assembly to remove it then the fans. Seriously??? WTH! I could get them out without all that if I could just reach the plugs. Any tips on how to achieve this without all that nightmare? If not I will just snip the wires and splice instead of using the plugs.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Remove the grill and pull the fans out then unplug them.
You are supposed to remove the radiator but you do not need to.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Winching

I tried to pull the plug forward but I can't get to it. It is clipped or screwed in place. I mean there is no play whatsoever. That's the problem I am having. Otherwise, like I said it looks like you can just remove the crossbraces and unscrew the fans. Leave it to LR to make a design that is almost simple then screw it up with a dumb move like that lol.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You dont have to remove the radiator. I did it today.

Remove the cross bars and the hood latch, loosen the tranmission cooler bar and then...

Look up in there for the drivers side the little latch on the plugs is facing forward. This isn't a push down to release latch its a pull up/away. With the little peice lifted pull the side coming from the battery off the side connected to the fan. This is because the fan side plug is the side attached to the body.

After you have removed the other end from the mounted plug side, just pull the whole fan and wire out. A good yank will break the little mouting clip and then you can put it in an easier location when you install the new one.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Winching

Perfect. Thanks a million!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wth.....

Originally Posted by discomedic4
I tried to pull the plug forward but I can't get to it. It is clipped or screwed in place. I mean there is no play whatsoever. That's the problem I am having. Otherwise, like I said it looks like you can just remove the crossbraces and unscrew the fans. Leave it to LR to make a design that is almost simple then screw it up with a dumb move like that lol.

There is no WTH with these piles...only WTF.....LR invented the dumb move and turned it into the FDM... Idiots... anyway.. i pulled mine out without taking out the radiator but it is easy just to take the raditor out. If you are using dex..it is a great time to flush the system and get rid of dex...another corosive...there is a place that makes custom fans that push alot more air..and even make custom raditors that i saw one on a defender.. i think the fans on these suck big time... i hardwired my RR 4.0 SE to run continuesly as i live in florida. Performance rod and custom is the place that makes the fans and raditors.. Check them out..

good luck, Chris

Old 06-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Winching

LOL. I will check them out for the future (gotta get something in there right away. Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can drop the 2 radiator mounts and push it back just a little. Good time to wash out whatever has built up between the condenser and radiator. You will also have to pull the grill and remove the 2 crossbars. The plugs should be right between the rad and the condenser. The plugs have tabs on them that you can swueeze with a pair of needlenose pliers to get out. Then unplug and start to feed through.

This is why they say to remove the condenser---- the plug won't fit through to pull the fan out!!! Just unbolt the 2 condenser supports on the top. You should be able to bend things enough to push it through. I did not do anything to my tranny cooler or oil cooler. The fans will wedge past them. Just remember where everything goes....

I can take pics tomorrow if someone needs a write up? I just did this this afternoon and didn't think about it.