Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sprung a coolant leak today

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 08:42 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenso
Had the exact same issue with mine, post HG repair. Throttle body heater hoses leaking all over the driver's valve cover and running down onto the drivers side primary o2 sensor. Tiny hose clamps strip out before they get tight enough to seal. The hoses are sized poorly in relation to the size of the TB heater fittings, or mine seemed that way.

Although I sincerely hope this is the source of the leak, I cant help but be skeptical because I replaced the throttle body heater plate and gasket well over a month ago and the leak just started yesterday. Tomorrow when I get out of work Ill give it a try though. Already purchased new clamps.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Although I sincerely hope this is the source of the leak, I cant help but be skeptical because I replaced the throttle body heater plate and gasket well over a month ago and the leak just started yesterday. Tomorrow when I get out of work Ill give it a try though. Already purchased new clamps.

Yeah I see your point there. Although one of the hoses may have failed where the clamps engage the hoses. Did you reuse the old hoses when you replaced the TBH? Good luck with things either way.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:05 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Kenso
Yeah I see your point there. Although one of the hoses may have failed where the clamps engage the hoses. Did you reuse the old hoses when you replaced the TBH? Good luck with things either way.
I used the same old hoses when I installed the new kit. I have some fuel hose that i can use thought i need to... thanks man.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I had replaced all of the hoses on my truck last year, then suddenly about a month ago I noticed the reservoir dropped about an inch in one week. I found that the heater plate hose had started leaking. While hunting for the leak I saw evidence of the head gaskets leaking as well, but the main culprit was the throttle plate hose. It just started leaking. After I did the head gaskets and put it all back together the hose still leaked. I was able to get it tight enough using clamps made by Ideal. They seemed to be the best made of the ones I had in that size and I was able to really crank on them without them stripping.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:18 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
I had replaced all of the hoses on my truck last year, then suddenly about a month ago I noticed the reservoir dropped about an inch in one week. I found that the heater plate hose had started leaking. While hunting for the leak I saw evidence of the head gaskets leaking as well, but the main culprit was the throttle plate hose. It just started leaking. After I did the head gaskets and put it all back together the hose still leaked. I was able to get it tight enough using clamps made by Ideal. They seemed to be the best made of the ones I had in that size and I was able to really crank on them without them stripping.

Ill let you know how walmart brand clamps work ^^

Old 10-31-2014, 05:10 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

call tonight

Old 10-31-2014, 08:36 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have Scangauge or similar to get real time temps ???

I would use a stop leak as LAST RESORT.

How BAD does it leak ? I've drove mine for months (over a year) with a

leaking head gasket.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:10 AM
TReK

Engine temps are fine according to Ultragauge and despite driving 10 miles home from work then going out to eat then back home no more fluid loss. Checked again this morning before I started the truck and shes not leaking. This is very strange indeed. But I decided to top off the coolant anyway before I left for work. I dont see how the truck can leak a tablespoon or so of coolant in the parkinglot then drive around part of the day and not leak anymore the next day while parked. Must be a Rover thing

Ill swap out the old hose clamp tonight or tomorrow and see what happens.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:11 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by drowssap
call tonight
Could you send me a PM with your number?

Old 10-31-2014, 11:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
plan on stopping by advanced auto parts after work. Do they have anything cheap to pressure test the HG?
I know that Auto Zone, Pep Boys and Advance Auto Parts have loaner tools. One of them is a pressure tester. You pay full price for the tool and when you return it they give you your $$ back.
I loaned a thread chaser set and A/C vac pump from Autozone when I did my headgaskets and a pilot bearing puller & slide hammer from PepBoys when I did my driveshaft rebuild.

Quick Reply: sprung a coolant leak today