Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeal. AFTER EBC pads and new rotors (pics).

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Squeal. AFTER EBC pads and new rotors (pics).

This weekend we installed new rotors, EBC greenstuff pads, and did a full brake flush with DOT4 fluid.

What sucks is that I NOW have a brake squeal from the rear passenger.

It only happens right on startup...when they pads are cold....after they're warm there's no squeal.

I used a BUNCH of sound deadening spray on the backs of the pads. You can actually see it in the pic.

Questions:

1. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? Take out the pads and spray even more deadening spray on the pads?

2. What about sand paper on the rotor?

2. I havent done anything for break-in. Just started driving. Any special techniques you use for break-in?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:30 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes go out and break them in, google for the technique

Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahem, that isn't anti-squeal on the the disc contact side of the pads is it??? Because it sure looks like you gooped it on the wrong side in that pic??? Please tell me I'm wrong because anti squeal does NOT go on the side of the pad that comes in contact with the disc...

Old 04-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not an idiot.

No the pads on the EBC's are red.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oysterhead
I'm not an idiot.

My newly installed EBC pads squeals too. Though, I didn't put any deadening spray. You could spray the rotor with water, that helps a bit.

The red layer of the pad in contact with the rotor is the break-in portion.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:44 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EBC's will squeal, and the squeal will get worse after time. braking performance will also dramatically decrease after 3-5k miles and you will have more brake dust than with OEM pads.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to go out and break in the pads, do a number, 5 or 6 times, of hard semi-hard stops from 55MPH plus down to 20 MPH, that will take the surface material down from the pads and let them seat into the rotors.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same as on my p38. I even got the slotted rotors with it. Every so often I get this wicked squeal from front pass. Stops after a car wash for about a week. Wonder if it was worth the $499 from rover parts

Old 04-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oysterhead
I'm not an idiot.

Sorry man. Didn't mean to imply that. I just noticed the red/orange goop along the edge of the pads contacting the disc in the second picture and put hand to head and hoped that wasn't the case. Very glad to hear that it's not!

Attached Thumbnails Squeal.  AFTER EBC pads and new rotors (pics).-849019076_ifjrv-xl.jpg  

Last edited by Suede; 04-27-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Per EBC most asked questions:

Bedding in EBC pads
In Street use situations …
Bedding in when the red EBC surface coating (marked on the pads as Brake In) is applied.
Best procedure is to drive gently avoiding harsh braking unless in an emergency for first 100 miles. In the second 100 miles (up to 200) you can use gently increasing brake pressures when using the brakes.
Only after 200 miles urban driving (not 200 miles on a freeway where brakes are almost unused) should you attempt to apply heavy load and heat to the brakes. To do this final bedding on a QUIET ROAD in safe traffic apply the brakes and slow from 60 to 10 MPH five times in a row. Then drive slowly for a few minutes if safe to do so to allow the brakes to cool. Try to avoid coming to a rest whilst the brakes are heated.
A smell may be noticed from the warm brakes, this is normal. Repeat this procedure a second time after the brakes have TOTALLY cooled down. EBC pads get better with miles. Even after this bed in procedure it can take up to 1500 miles before the pads are at their best. In the meantime the pads will be good and safe but true potential not realised. EBC makes performance pads that last, they do not bed in within 5 minutes driving. Noises will be more likely during the first 1000-1500 miles use whilst this chemical bedding takes place.

Quick Reply: Squeal. AFTER EBC pads and new rotors (pics).