Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start but won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start but won't stay running

Starting up My 2000 Disco 2 for the first time sense doing a head gasket repair. Everything seems to be working properly and it will start just fine, however it dies immediately after the RPM settles back down to idle. I tried giving it gas but it feels like there is none available. Sometimes it will try to stay running but at very very low RPM and I shut it down. I can also hear something running after the engine is off under the hood followed by a popping sound like a plastic bottle being dented. I am wondering If I did something wrong? fuel line? I read the fuel system is self priming. I did completely drain the fuel rail before putting the intake back on so not to get fuel all over. I need help Please My ego is already crushed so go easy on the hostility.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The common issue with stalling engines after a head gasket i've been hearing is that you didn't reconnect your crank position sensor correctly. Try there and see what you can find out.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And other sensors might also be half plugged in, so a good time to check them all, certainly IACV.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Any codes? The fact that you cannot rev it up with the gas pedal makes me thing something like MAF or TPS. Not sure if the D2 will start and run with one of them disconnected though.... never tried.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Idle air control valve not plugged in or it was moved during the work.
TPS or MAF unplugged.
Vacuum leak.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:35 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Haha,
Figured this one out I think..
Your description about the plastic bottle cracking is key.

The engine is not getting any air.

Unhook the air cleaner box right after the MAF.
Un-clip those clips and get the air cleaner out and try to start it again.
You may have left some plastic or such in your alr cleaner box after the job.

Or rags.

The engine sucked those in.

Meaning, you are looking right at the screen on the MAF.
Now, try to start it.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Make sure your tps switch is giving proper close throttle signal. This can make a idle control valve buzz. Also make sure your idle valve is clean and will move freely, open and close. If stuck open off idle, will cause a large vacuum leak. Try to start it a few more times to trip a fault code. As other have said, a defective crankshaft sensor can do the samething.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Drifting

OK update, double checked all of my wires. Still unsure of where crank position sensor is pics are unclear, searched crank position sensor in RAVE and nothing came up.Going out to look again right now.Is it the harness that in bolted to the head on drivers side?[QUOTE]"Make sure your tps switch is giving proper close throttle signal. This can make a idle control valve buzz. " [QUOTE]. How can I tell? The wires are connected. Can it be adjusted? What is the best way to tell if you have a vacuum leak? Are all vacuum lines on that same bundle? If so I'm all hooked up. At this point nobody thinks fuel prob. and I'm leaning toward crank position sensor or TPS issue. maybe would explain the noises I'm hearing. Is there anything else that I should be able to hear after engine stops? Only seems to happen when I try to give it gas or "messing with the throttle". Not sure if its relevant but I do have SAI. Thanks in advance, you people are awesome

Old 06-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Drifting

I'm 90% sure the "popping" sound I hear is the big lower intake manifold gasket. I had someone else start the vehicle while I stuck my head in there. What could cause that? Also fairly sure the TPS is the motor sound I'm hearing. Very worried about lower manifold gasket popping.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Popping could be a backfire.

Also - did you seat the upper intake manifold correctly?
As I remember, that took me a long time to get it go to down on the two hollow studs.

If you did not take off the crank sensor - than that should not be an issue.

If you have a cam that takes movies or a cell phone that takes movies, you can post the video to youtube and we can listen to the sound and watch it.

Quick Reply: Start but won't stay running