Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stripped cylinder head bolt

Old 04-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped cylinder head bolt

Well I finally got a big enough breaker bar and got the passenger side head off. Started to get the drivers side head off and the 7 bolt according to the rave manual is completely stipped. The corners are completely rounded off. How can I get this out as some people know this is the one in the galley and very hard to get to.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Drifting
Default RE: stripped cylinder head bolt

I recently completed a head gasket job and had one bolt that was trouble. I broke 2 sockets trying to get it out and rounded off the head when the second one broke. If anybody does one, please try to use impact wrench sockets wherever possible. The walls on Craftsman sockets can't take the abuse.

To get the bolt out, I drilled out the top of the bolt with a bit smaller than the diameter of the bolt. I think that the dissimilar metals cause the bolt heads to "stick" to the aluminum head. I then pounded on a tool that Irwin makes for rounded off bolts and used my 1/2" breaker bar to get it out. Lisle makes some really great pound on tools (available at Sears) to remove studs (don't bother with the Sears ones). They have saved me numerous times. I've used them to remove broken exhaust studs on my F150 and the exhaust studs from the output side of the Disco headers. Pound them on and put the tool in a vice and twist. They work great but I couldn't find any of the Lisle tools big enough for the Disco head bolts - so I tried the Irwins. They aren't as good as the Lisle's but they worked to get my Disco head bolt out. The Irwin tool didn't work until I drilled the bolt head.

I've tried welding on a socket to the bolt before also with mixed results. Put the socket on the bolt and stick weld through the 1/2" drive hole. I've also heard of left handed taps before but I've never seen one. There are also some welder tricks to loosen bolts but I'd be wary of trying them on aluminum.

Good luck, my friend. One of life's real frustrations!

Old 04-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Drifting

Well I have tried the Irwin bolt grip tools, Craftsman, and everything else I could find and the bolt wont budge before the tool loses grip. So I said screw it and went and bought some drill bits and was going to drill the head off and worry about getting it out of the block later. Well the bit drilled rite in then broke coming out now I have the bit stuck in the bolt and cant get it out. Have no idea what to even try at this point and am runningout of explict words to scream. Any ideas? Like I said this is the back bolt on the passenger side that is down in the galley so its hard enough to get to.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boy, I've been in that situation before, I will come out eventually. Is there room to get a stud extractor on there? Did you go one size smaller onthose bolt grip sockets and try hammering it on real good first? Is there room to grind the bolt's head off and then deal with the stud when you have more room (that would be a last resort I think)?

Old 04-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Drifting

No I can hardly get anything in there as its the one in the back against the firewall down in the galley. Just enough room for the socket to go down in there. I have tried down to the 14MM socket and it just comes off.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Drifting

Just wanted to post that today I had time to work on this and after 5 hours of hammer and chiesel. The bolt broke lose, I end up taking half the bolt headoff. I checked the block and didnt damage the threads (Thank God). So if anyone is attempting thisthe best advise I can give is make sure you buy the right tools before you start. And if it still happens call some friends and get a case of their favorite beerand have fun!!!

Thanks for everyones help!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See, I knew you would get it. Another success story. Yes, always make sure you have the right tool, thebolt or nutis cleaned up nicely and the wrench is on as straight and tight as possible and don't be in a hurry. Beer does always seem to help too.