Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/T tire shopping

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up getting the Cooper AT3s. I picked the truck up today, so I only have 4 miles on them, but they seem smooth and quiet.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

What size did you go with? Throw us a picture.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:52 AM
Three Wheeling

Went with the Cooper Discoverer AT/3 in 255/70R16 size again. Primary reason for that size was to retain a matching-size spare tire and to make sure spare fit on carrier. Without having a 265/75r16 on hand to check clearance, I didn't want to risk it dragging on the bumper.

Last edited by Scout_Beagle; 02-02-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:41 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Scout_Beagle
I am looking to have my '03 re-shod shortly.

I have the 16" wheel and am currently running the Hankook Dynapro ATM 255/70R16 109T with a 2" lift. These tires have carried me for over 45,000 mi, so they owe me nothing. The on-road manners have been great, but I do feel like the off-road traction in mud/snow could be better.

I honestly don't do much wheeling as a past time, so my off road time is spent mostly in ag fields during goose season (snow AND mud and towing a small decoy trailer); on woodland trails in and around deer hunting areas; and dicking around along the river and streams when fishing and kayaking and boating.

I've narrowed it down (I think) to a few choices, and wonder if anyone has an experience/opinion for a replacement in the same size or to maybe go to a 245/75R16? or 265/75R16?

Option 1: go with the Hankook ATM again
Option 2: Mastercraft Courser AXT
Option 3: Cooper Discoverer AT3
Option 4: Goodyear Duratrac (strongly attracted to these based on looks)
Option 5: ????

Thanks for any insight.
Cant say enough about Duratrac. After over 80K miles, I thought it wont last this winter. I have a 10ply rating. Never went to have those vulcanized. I saw screws or nails here and there but sometimes I forgot and they just got grinded, they are in there somewhere. In NJ we had about 27 inches of snow (2016). Some drifts are even higher and the disco just plow through the snow. Never had to shovel my driveway for years. My studio, never got plowed, I just drove over it. Some 2016 blizzard images. .

Attached Thumbnails A/T tire shopping-lrparking2.jpg   A/T tire shopping-lrtire2.jpg   A/T tire shopping-lr7112.jpg   A/T tire shopping-lrstreet2.jpg  
Old 02-02-2016, 08:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Oh yea, I always forget about the bumper clearance. Just FYI for future reference, you can actually remove the carrier and flip it upside down to fit a larger tire without scrub. You've gotta drill out the middle two holes different and make a small cut for the rear wiper arm to fit, but its pretty easy.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:03 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Oh yea, I always forget about the bumper clearance. Just FYI for future reference, you can actually remove the carrier and flip it upside down to fit a larger tire without scrub. You've gotta drill out the middle two holes different and make a small cut for the rear wiper arm to fit, but its pretty easy.
If this bucket is on the road still in another 40K, I just may do this!

Old 02-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scout_Beagle
I am looking to have my '03 re-shod shortly.

I have the 16" wheel and am currently running the Hankook Dynapro ATM 255/70R16 109T with a 2" lift. These tires have carried me for over 45,000 mi, so they owe me nothing. The on-road manners have been great, but I do feel like the off-road traction in mud/snow could be better.

I honestly don't do much wheeling as a past time, so my off road time is spent mostly in ag fields during goose season (snow AND mud and towing a small decoy trailer); on woodland trails in and around deer hunting areas; and dicking around along the river and streams when fishing and kayaking and boating.

I've narrowed it down (I think) to a few choices, and wonder if anyone has an experience/opinion for a replacement in the same size or to maybe go to a 245/75R16? or 265/75R16?

Option 1: go with the Hankook ATM again
Option 2: Mastercraft Courser AXT
Option 3: Cooper Discoverer AT3
Option 4: Goodyear Duratrac (strongly attracted to these based on looks)
Option 5: ????

Thanks for any insight.

Get the Cooper's. Love mine. Plus they are USA owned and manufactured :-)

Old 02-05-2016, 05:46 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

As far as AT tires go, I've owned around 6 different types. Best things I've ever had (for AT tires...not muds) is the Pro-comp Extreme AT. Good wear, good traction, quiet, good in rain etc etc.

Good luck.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

Now that I have had a chance to drive in some snow and ice, I am satisfied with the Cooper Discovery tires I put on. i did go with one size larger tires as they had them on hand and gave me a lower price just to get rid of them. They do rub a bit when I am at full lock turn in either direction, but I just don't turn that sharp except for maybe parking , so no problem!

Old 02-09-2016, 01:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Cant say enough about Duratrac. After over 80K miles, I thought it wont last this winter. I have a 10ply rating. Never went to have those vulcanized. I saw screws or nails here and there but sometimes I forgot and they just got grinded, they are in there somewhere. In NJ we had about 27 inches of snow (2016). Some drifts are even higher and the disco just plow through the snow. Never had to shovel my driveway for years. My studio, never got plowed, I just drove over it. Some 2016 blizzard images. .

LR03NJ - What size tires do you have and what lift. Pics look good.

Thanks

Quick Reply: A/T tire shopping