Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail door wont turn off dome lights when closed.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tail door wont turn off dome lights when closed.

My boys let the rear tail door swing open when parked on a side hill and it resulted in slightly bending the hinges. It bend them in such a manner as the catch mounted to frame was now to low and would not latch. I adjusted the hinges and catch enough that the door now easily opens and closes but, for whatever reason it will not trigger the dome lights on ceiling to turn off. Looked through the rave I could not determine where the switch for the lights is located. Not sure on what I need to do to fix this, is it a bad switch, did I adjust something wrong? Most cars have an external button that is pressed when the door closes, guess that would make too much sense for land rover. Thanks for any thoughts or help with this.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Be aware the dome light turns off after a delay of ~8 seconds when the door is closed. The switch is built-in the door lock latch.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

There are two "catches" on the latch. Try pushing the door closed very slowly and gently, to see if you are getting both clicks. The first one will not turn off the lights. You may have to adjust the funny looking u-bolt on the door frame out.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks, Im aware of the delay but, did not realize there are two clicks in the latching process. Will check it out.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well it's not the latch adjustment. I can fully actuate the latch using a screwdriver and it still does not trigger lights to turn off or allow sls to function. Could it be we have damaged the mechanism,? We had to rally slam it for a while to get it to latch prior to me readjusting hinges. Any way to jump the switch wire circuit to trick bcu?

Old 07-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I had a problem like this recently... I don't know WTF I was thinking but I left the auto parts store with my rear door slightly open, when I backed out it swung open HARD. When I closed it, it stopped dead on the latch... HARD. I got a screwdriver out and flipped the little inner keeper so it closed. For two weeks my light kept going on and off and I thought it was closed. It wasn't closed and I found that out when I slipped and hit my shin on the trailer hitch. I then closed the rear door PROPER HARD. Light went out. I felt like an idiot. Still do.

If your light comes on when you accelerate or brake (in other words, after it times out), it just isn't closing fully.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Its fully closed and light still wont go out. Operated the catch with a screwdriver while the door was open to make sure the catch was fully in closed position, lights still on. For some reason the catch mechanism is not actuating the switch that turns lights off and allows sls to function. anyone have a wiring digram for the multi plug going to the catch motor?

Old 07-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The SLS is linked to the light switch so you cannot raise or lower the vehicle with any doors open. Until the interior light switch is fixed the SLS will remain inactive unless you bridge out the offending switch.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
The SLS is linked to the light switch so you cannot raise or lower the vehicle with any doors open. Until the interior light switch is fixed the SLS will remain inactive unless you bridge out the offending switch.
That's the plan just need to find wiring diagram for multi plug going to latch mechanism.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 938 Likes on 631 Posts

As a temporary fix, you can just un plug the wiring harness that connects to the door lock. I currently have my half door on and the lock actuator is not plugged in. My dome lights will not come on when I open the door, but thats probably better than them not going off when the door is closed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tail door wont turn off dome lights when closed.