Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrafirma bumper installation has me stumped

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 09:07 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts
Default Terrafirma bumper installation has me stumped

UPS delivered my new Terrafirma bumper yesterday, but too late for me to get it mounted before I had to break for other commitments last evening.

We did have time yesterday to open the box and check out all the included hardware. What we found is very disappointing. Unless I’m missing something it appears I’m going to need to buy all new bolts to complete the installation. Unlike an ARB bumper the Terrafirma comes with no instructions nor have I been able to find instructions online.

Included were two M10x90 hex bolts and two M10x120 hex bolts, all with flat washers and Nyloc nuts, and five M8x25 pan head, hex drive machine screws with flat washers and Nylocs for three of them. Also included were two rectangular, 50x30mm, 5mm-thick black painted steel plates with holes appropriate for 10mm bolts.

The two 120s are excessively long for the horizontal holes on which the factory crush cans were mounted, even with the original steering arm guard in place, or for the vertical holes if you were to drill through the frame to use them. The 90s appear to be useless. They’re too short for either the horizontal or the vertical holes.

Now that I've taken another look at the mounts I'm guessing the rectangular plates may be to be mounted atop the frame rail on another pair of M10x120mm bolts that go through the plate on the bottom of the mount. But at this point I'm doing little more than guessing.

The triangular sections that obviously mate up with the diagonal frame members on each side have holes top and bottom suggesting that the diagonals can also be drilled and bolts installed.

I can see that three of the M8 machine screws plus one of the washer and Nyloc combos are pretty clearly for the washer bottle guard but I don't know what the other two M8s, washers and Nylocs are for.

Please reply if you can help me figure out all of this, especially if you have instructions from Terrafirma.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Terrafirma bumper installation has me stumped-tf2.jpg   Terrafirma bumper installation has me stumped-tf4.jpg   Terrafirma bumper installation has me stumped-tf5.jpg   Terrafirma bumper installation has me stumped-tf6.jpg   Terrafirma bumper installation has me stumped-tf8.jpg  

Terrafirma bumper installation has me stumped-tf9.jpg  
Old 06-27-2015, 11:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Who'd you buy it from?
I'm sure Lucky8 could help you out with install.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Camel Trophy

Lucky 8. I just don't want to wait until Monday.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Lucky 8. I just don't want to wait until Monday.
Message Erik or Justin on here.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:46 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Monday might be good. gives you time to wire brush your chassis horns and get a couple coats of paint on.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by antichrist
Monday might be good. gives you time to wire brush your chassis horns and get a couple coats of paint on.
Well, I hadn't been thinking about that but you're right. If I thought about that at all I was thinking that they would have continued as-is had I not taken the old bumper off but a little extra preventive maintenance is usually a good idea.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Camel Trophy

I knew that I would have to cut the grill to fit the winch but it's now clear that the steel cross member that runs along the lower edge of the grill will interfere with getting the winch and bumper into position. I've never heard of anyone cutting that but perhaps they do.

Here are a couple of pics. I have the bumper and winch sitting on two 5-gallon buckets plus a couple 4x4 blocks. From that position the bumper needs to come up about an inch and go back about 6-1/2 inches. As you can see in the pics the winch as it sits is only about 3-1/4 inches from the steel.

Was I always just misinterpreting what people meant when they said the grill needed to be trimmed on a '99-'02? Maybe the steel isn't necessary (seems unlikely, but possible I suppose).

The third pic shows the front without the grill. I suppose it's possible that the diagonal bracing doesn't need the lower steel structure to keep from spreading apart.

Attached Thumbnails Terrafirma bumper installation has me stumped-tf10.jpg   Terrafirma bumper installation has me stumped-tf11.jpg   Terrafirma bumper installation has me stumped-tf12.jpg  

Last edited by mln01; 07-24-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:59 PM
Camel Trophy

Bump. Please.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:06 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It seems strange to me you'd have to cut away part of the body.
Be sure to post the solution.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:14 AM
Camel Trophy

I figured out the bolts. I'm going to use some 4.5 inch bolts in either 7/16 (which is what the old bumper had) or 1/2. The holes will accept the 1/2" bolts but that may not leave enough slack to fine tune the fit. Lowe's and HD didn't stock M10s longer than 100mm.

Quick Reply: Terrafirma bumper installation has me stumped