Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrafirma bumper installation has me stumped

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 06:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

I'm trying to install the swivel eyes but the snap ring pliers I have won't open the snap rings wide enough to slip over the posts. I've tried opening the snap rings with two pair of slip joint pliers but it's a no go. Ideas?

Old 06-28-2015, 08:20 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Lowe's and HD didn't stock M10s longer than 100mm.
Do they even sell grade 8 bolts? You don't want to use anything less. Or class 10.9 if metric.

I'm trying to install the swivel eyes but the snap ring pliers I have won't open the snap rings wide enough to slip over the posts. I've tried opening the snap rings with two pair of slip joint pliers but it's a no go. Ideas?
Larger snap ring pliers. If you don't want to buy new, check your local pawn shop, the filthier the better as they'll more likely have them.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Going through frame on d1 I ran a 1/2" drill bit through to ream it for 1/2" bolts, if you use the bolt holes to adjust the bumper, first time you use the bumper it will get pulled out of alignment IMO so best to use the big bolts

On the snap rings I have had luck in the past getting one side on then noun around forcing the ring on and using a pick or awl to stretch the end but it can be s real pita so best to try for pliers

Last edited by TOM R; 06-28-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i believe all that little button head hardware is for the washer bottle guard.
i used the same 4 bolts that held the stock bumper frame on, took a 4 in grinder to smooth the frame horns and it walked right on.
you might want to mount the bumper before the winch, i believe the grill is all you should have to cut. but i do not have a winch on so im not sure.
on the snaprings i started over the post and them used a socket to drive them in place

Old 06-29-2015, 01:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 816 Likes on 594 Posts

I spoke with Erik at Lucky 8 this morning and he confirmed that yes, the crossmember will need to be cut for a winch to be installed. Erik said he had done that with his DII to a couple of years ago and had no adverse effects. Another forum member here in town told me over the weekend that he did the same a year ago when he installed his Terrafirma.

It's disappointing that the Terrafirma and vendor web sites don't disclose the amount of surgery necessary to mount a winch with this bumper. I'm also surprised that these modifications haven't been discussed previously on this and other forums given the amount of ink spent discussing bumpers. The Lucky 8 web page for this bumper is silent about installation, as is Terrafirma's. Not a word.

The Rovers North and AB pages both say "This is a direct replacement for the 2003-2004 stock bumper. For earlier models, removing the bottom inch of plastic center grill is required on vehicles manufactured 1999-2002. Uses popular Warn 9 mount pattern to fit most electric winches. Requires removing a section of center grill to accommodate winch. Includes mounting hardware and washer bottle guard and mounting hardware."

Those descriptions are incomplete to a degree that makes them misleading. Given that the first reference to to cutting the grill specified plastic the implication is that the second reference about removing a section of the center grill to accommodate a winch also meant the plastic. I had never previously had the grill off the truck and wasn't focused on there even being a steel reinforcement.

So it was off to Harbor Freight this afternoon for the $14.99 angle grinder and a pack of cutoff wheels. Wish me luck.

BTW, I got the snap rings installed and the swivel eyes mounted. Just needed a bigger set of snap ring pliers.

Last edited by mln01; 07-09-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:40 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Those descriptions are incomplete to a degree that makes them misleading. Given that the first reference to to cutting the grill specified plastic the implication is that the second reference about removing a section of the center grill to accommodate a winch also meant the plastic. I had never previously had the grill off the truck and wasn't focused on there even being a steel reinforcement.
I have to agree. If you need to cut anything more than a non-structural part it should be clearly stated. I don't consider having to cut structural a "direct replacement".
In fact, if I were making a bumper for someone I wouldn't call it a direct replacement if anything needed to be cut, even the plastic grill.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:58 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

that does sux, you are correct; all they say is you will have to TRIM the grill on 99-02 and a direct replacement for 03/04.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you have any plans for the ARB bumper? I live in Sanford and could drive up and make sure it is properly recycled for you. By recycle I do mean mount to my truck to ditch the old factory bumper. Anyways just let me know. Maybe if I head over we can visit a pub and grab a cold one.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Terrafirma sucks for instructions. I have their sliders, I contacted them for instructions and they stated that they don't have any. There were more holes in the sliders than included hardware. There was a mix of nylock and standard nuts. I had to buy more nuts and bolts.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by acamato
Terrafirma sucks for instructions. I have their sliders, I contacted them for instructions and they stated that they don't have any. There were more holes in the sliders than included hardware. There was a mix of nylock and standard nuts. I had to buy more nuts and bolts.
Agreed. Next time I install a set on a customers truck I am doing a how-to video.

As for the verbiage about modification, we are currently revamping our website and the specific details will be included. Thank you for your suggestions.

Quick Reply: Terrafirma bumper installation has me stumped