Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Spring spacers

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Thoughts on Spring spacers

Any offroaders have advice on these 2inch spring spacers? With a 2 or 3 inch lift lit installed.
Terrafirma Spring spacers | Suspension - Hardware Accessories for Land Rover Vehicles

Looks like Shock travel is increased as well as ride height

Old 08-17-2015, 09:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 939 Likes on 632 Posts

Some guys do that who have an inch or two of sag from wknches/bumpers/racks/etc, but if you dont have sag then you'll need all the same parts you would for a 4" spring except for the front shocks, which is brake lines, castor arms, driveshafts, and rear shocks.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
Any offroaders have advice on these 2inch spring spacers? With a 2 or 3 inch lift lit installed.
Terrafirma Spring spacers | Suspension - Hardware Accessories for Land Rover Vehicles

Looks like Shock travel is increased as well as ride height
I don't have those but I do have aluminum spacers under +3 springs and have never had an issue. I think mine were 40 dollars plus some grade 8 bolts and nuts from the parts store.

Those look nice. Your link just goes to their main parts page.

The ones I got were intended to be part of a range rover air bag setup. I can't remember the part. But don't search for them; I thought they were perfect but they required a lot of work with hand tools to make work.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Some guys do that who have an inch or two of sag from wknches/bumpers/racks/etc, but if you dont have sag then you'll need all the same parts you would for a 4" spring except for the front shocks, which is brake lines, castor arms, driveshafts, and rear shocks.
that is exactly what I have with my 3inch lift with all the extra weight. I am gonna buy these.

Last edited by Yoops Racing; 08-17-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Rock Crawling

I may have too much lift. Front seems a little high but maybe not. Thoughts? I like the look but wonder if now I have too much strain on driveline and shocks. It may settle another 3/4 inch at most I am told... I have 3degree pinion angle, Tom Woods DShafts and it does not wander but it does have a little more steering play than before. It does not seem too top heavy, surprisingly. I may just align the tires and steering wheel (it got slightly cockeyed to the left) and see how it does or I may just see about new 3inch or 4inch springs, W/O these spacers...Need expert advice. Bring it on. I do not want larger wheels or tires.

Last edited by Yoops Racing; 08-27-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Camel Trophy

Yoops is that 2 inches (puck) plus 3 springs? If so, that's what I have, but I have bigger tires I think (33) and I wish my tires were smaller. Just looking at it I think your RTE springs are a little longer (or less sagged) than my TF ones... looks higher. I had to use wheel spacers so I could get full turn, then my tires sometimes tap the fender when I turn and hit a bump. I think your setup looks fantastic. The whole thing looks nice. It looks like you have a new steering bar, right? TF? You can adjust that easily to straighten the wheel. Do you have an adjustable panhard bar?

I just align mine in the driveway with a tape measure...

I can tell you that when I lifted mine it thrashed by original front driveshaft, but if you have Tom Woods front and back you are going to be fine. I had a long conversation with Bill at GBR about front driveshafts and he said a multi-double cardan is not needed until you get OVER 5 inches and your double cardan gives up. I hope you have a double cardan rear driveshaft...

You said 3 degree pinion... have you adjusted the angle of your driveshaft or adjusted the radius arms? If your steering is twitchy, there are reasonably priced BUSHINGS that adjust your caster. Putting them on is another matter.

I don't think the two are related but my steering seemed a little loose after the lift (I think I was just being sensitive to any change) and I ended up replacing my ball joints... it was like the difference between driving a sailboat and a new train on rails.

Well, anyway, NICE.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-27-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Yoops is that 2 inches (puck) plus 3 springs? If so, that's what I have, but I have bigger tires I think (33) and I wish my tires were smaller. Just looking at it I think your RTE springs are a little longer (or less sagged) than my TF ones... looks higher. I had to use wheel spacers so I could get full turn, then my tires sometimes tap the fender when I turn and hit a bump. I think your setup looks fantastic. The whole thing looks nice. It looks like you have a new steering bar, right? TF? You can adjust that easily to straighten the wheel. Do you have an adjustable panhard bar?

I just align mine in the driveway with a tape measure...

I can tell you that when I lifted mine it thrashed by original front driveshaft, but if you have Tom Woods front and back you are going to be fine. I had a long conversation with Bill at GBR about front driveshafts and he said a multi-double cardan is not needed until you get OVER 5 inches and your double cardan gives up. I hope you have a double cardan rear driveshaft...

You said 3 degree pinion... have you adjusted the angle of your driveshaft or adjusted the radius arms? If your steering is twitchy, there are reasonably priced BUSHINGS that adjust your caster. Putting them on is another matter.

I don't think the two are related but my steering seemed a little loose after the lift (I think I was just being sensitive to any change) and I ended up replacing my ball joints... it was like the difference between driving a sailboat and a new train on rails.

Well, anyway, NICE.
These are RTE 3in springs with Terrafirma 2in spacers. The radius arm is modified to 3 degrees for the 3 in RTE lift. Hmm wonder if the ball joints need replacing??????

Old 08-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
These are RTE 3in springs with Terrafirma 2in spacers. The radius arm is modified to 3 degrees for the 3 in RTE lift. Hmm wonder if the ball joints need replacing??????

I'm no expert on that... but I can tell you that changing my ball joints (they were original... 145,000 miles, easy life, no offroading) was the biggest, cheapest change in driveability I have ever made. I was really surprised.

I did a write up (more of an idiot's guide since I'd never done anything like that before) somewhere on the forum. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. You can do both sides on a Saturday.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-27-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:46 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I have 2" lift HD springs from Britpart and 1" spacers in there as well....along with a 1.5" body lift. I've done some heavy wheeling and rock crawling with a packed- to-the-top load and never had any issues.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:19 AM
Rock Crawling

I need to check my shock shaft length as well. I don't want to bottom out and damage the shocks either.

David

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Spring spacers