Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Heater

Old 12-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Heater

Was checking out the 04 Disco II after a little run and noticed a slight smell of antifreeze, after looking the engine over I noticed a small area of brownish sludge at/on the separation point for the throttle body heater and the throttle body - That tells me I need to replace the gasket however, it also leads me to this question....

What would happen if I remove this little "heater" plate and replace it with a blank, then cap off the inlet port from the manifold. I can not figure out any real significance for this little device, that does not appear to have any sensors connected to it other than be part of an extremely over engineered system.

SO if I remove it what happens???

Thanks

Robert

Old 12-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Throttle Body Heater

Do like I did 4 plus years ago, join both hoses together with a small piece of copper tubing, works great.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Three Wheeling

I had the same problem, could not find just the gasket so i got the whole unit with gasket.i think what will happen if you plug it up and you decide to take it out on a spin at say at freezing temps. and leave it parked the throttle flap will freeze and you will not be able to start your vehicle. The piece is there to keep it warm so it won't freeze on very cold days.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks Disco sounds like a good fix...(and simple...jack) Not sure what I'm going to do about the rest of the engine heating up so much on cold days though? Looks like some may say once I disconnect a 1/4 inch hose from the top of an engine it'll run so cold it could freeze. I might have to keep the throttle body immersed in hotter water than the engine to keep the flap thats controlled by cables from freezing up though. [&:]

or did I miss something

Mostly in jest [:-] my friends

Robert

Old 12-27-2008, 08:51 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If it gets so cold you have to worry about your throttle body freezing just stay home.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Ak

Yep thats why they invented fireplaces and girlfriends [sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 12-28-2008, 02:09 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alrite guys the fix is 20 buck and a hour why re-engineer it???? scott

Old 12-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Rock Crawling

scott

WTF - its OVER engineered to start with + I think even an engineer (maybe) would be able to tell you using the copper tubing will A. only take 5 minutes and B. save $167,985.23 dollars over the lifetime of the truck because you'll never ever have to replace that part again!

So remember the moral of the story...

One douche bag will say the glass is half full and another douche bag will say its half empty but, only a GOOD engineer will tell you there is 50% to much glass [:@]

Robert

Old 12-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: Night Train

Thanks Disco sounds like a good fix...(and simple...jack) Not sure what I'm going to do about the rest of the engine heating up so much on cold days though? Looks like some may say once I disconnect a 1/4 inch hose from the top of an engine it'll run so cold it could freeze. I might have to keep the throttle body immersed in hotter water than the engine to keep the flap thats controlled by cables from freezing up though. [&:]

or did I miss something

Mostly in jest [:-] my friends

Robert
Why do you think the rest of your engine is running too hot on cold days, have you replace your t/stat yet?
As for the t/body, I have had morning of -19 to -24, here in Denver over the last couple of years and have never experienced and need to warm the t/body or performance from by-passing the heater unit. I would though, not just restrict the flow by plugging the 2 lines.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Sorry Mike,

I don't (engine runs fine), the reply was for Stupid's benefit and mostly in jest. I could not find any reason not to bypass this device.

remember boyz and gurls, one must use every safety device known to man, unless the device itself causes a hazard

Robert

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle Body Heater