Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick Tick Tick!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:56 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Tick Tick Tick!

I dont want to jinx this but somehow the tick that i thought having for many years disappeared after the HG job. I have logged over 200 miles in few days after completion and never heard it again even going through those drive thru windows. I checked and followed every post pointing to the same problem. Sound and all, even videos. I guess it was just a lifter not the sleeve thing. I even mentioned the tick in my signature. Haha! Now, Im also enjoying not seeing any fluid/oil on the driveway. Until then. . . I'll just have to join my 3 amigos in the other disco. Cheers!

Old 12-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Didn't follow all of your HG topic, but did you replace the lifters and cam...or any other part of the rocker assembly?

Hopefully, the tick stays gone.

Brian.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:12 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Didn't follow all of your HG topic, but did you replace the lifters and cam...or any other part of the rocker assembly?

Hopefully, the tick stays gone.

Brian.
Hi Brian,
I had the tick for over 4 years and over 50k annoying miles. I just got used to the noise which sometimes very loud hammering sound. Feeling like a huge zit when your were in high school. Especially when youre stopped on an intersection beside another quiet Disco. hehehe! Back to your question, if I replaced them. No budget, all original parts. Unconventional cleaning too, I used Krud Kutter then power washed the heads. Blow dry it with a leaf blower and sprayed WD40 all over. Went to friends machine shop and I checked the head on his flat metal table and run my shurefire flashlight around and inside it. I was assuming that since I got the truck 13yrs ago it never over heated. Went to home depot got a wire brush to clean them. Though engine was hot all the time but steady 208 degrees summer or winter. Got 160k miles and it and still strong or maybe?
The videos youre about to watch is disturbing:
http://gerrycondez.com/LR/washhead.MOV
http://gerrycondez.com/LR/washintake.MOV

Old 12-07-2016, 02:31 AM
Camel Trophy

Well, if you didn't replace any of the lifters, push rods or valve train assembly...and the tick is gone...my thoughts are. You may have a liner that was causing the tick. But the new head gasket has quieted it down...for now. Or you just got lucky and cleaned or tighten something to spec accidently...?

Fingers crossed for a tick-free existence from here on out.

I'll watch videos at work, DSL out here in the "sticks"...so...life is to short to spend time waiting...lol.

Brian.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:39 AM
Camel Trophy

Oh...I know what you mean about the embarrassing tick. Pulled into the bank the other day with the 03, roll the window down and I'm like???...holey cow, this thing is ticking like mad today, even sounded more like a knocking noise now. Started to wonder if the old girl was even going to make it home. Luckily, it wasn't me...it was the crappy Subaru parked next to me...lol.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:12 AM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

It could even have been one of the other auxilliary devices that was ticking. My steering pump was making a huge racket that would fade in and out but was always embarrassing. Possible that during your rebuild you got something slightly realigned so it stopped.
Or when you cleaned the valve train you dislodged something that was causing a small amount of play.