Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain on a 2004 Discovery - life span

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain on a 2004 Discovery - life span

My 2004 Discovery has about 89,000 miles on it. Going through the manitenance book, it does not indicate when to replace it. Could anyone tell me at approximately what mileage to replace it?

Old 10-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is NO replacement interval o a timing CHAIN, they last the life of the engine, you are thinking of a timing BELT, which needs to be replaced every 60,000 miles.
You have a timing CHAIN.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERC7929.cfm

Leave it alone.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Disco Mike has said before around 200,000...If your engine makes is there first!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

YUP, 200,000 is pretty normal.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've heard of a few instances of people (myself included) having to do timing cover gaskets and they noticed a fair amount of deflection (play in the chain) whilst having everything exposed. I didn't bother even looking to see if the RAVE CD had the specifications posted...I just replaced the chain while I was in there. But as others have already stated, you don't typically replace the chain, I'm not even sure how much of a benefit replacing a chain that has deflection in it is going to do on a motor with say 80K on it...Considering you've got cam wear, lifter/pushrod wear etc. It might tighten up the timing a little and benefit you some...
We Disco owners can be **** though, especially with some of these jobs...if you ever have to do a timing cover because of a coolant leak (and you're not a professional mechanic), you're going to replace everything you possibly can while you're in there...waterpump, timing chain, thermostat, belts, hoses etc...

Old 09-13-2011, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear

Hello everyone, I am a new 1994 discovery owner. I live in the West Indies and have put my (new to me) vehicle in for service etc. The repairer assured me that there is no timing belt to change and that there is some kind of gear system fitted to the cam shaft. Does this make sense to the Land Rover experts out there?

Also (hate to be a pain in the butt) but need some advice about the front parking lights. Both bulb holders have deteriorated and do not work (these are the small ones which clip into the back of the headlamp. I cannot get them here - do any of you know of anything I can use as a conversion?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by olerenshaw
Hello everyone, I am a new 1994 discovery owner. I live in the West Indies and have put my (new to me) vehicle in for service etc. The repairer assured me that there is no timing belt to change and that there is some kind of gear system fitted to the cam shaft. Does this make sense to the Land Rover experts out there?

Also (hate to be a pain in the butt) but need some advice about the front parking lights. Both bulb holders have deteriorated and do not work (these are the small ones which clip into the back of the headlamp. I cannot get them here - do any of you know of anything I can use as a conversion?
That is correct, if you have the V8 there is NO timing belt.
Here is a close up pic of the timing chain and gears.
IMAG0209 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The top gear is on the cam shaft and the gear closest to the camera is the one that turns the distributor.
The bottom gear is the crank shaft, the chain ties the crank shaft and the cam shaft together.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-instal-43603/

Old 09-14-2011, 07:30 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Spike555
The top gear is on the cam shaft and the gear closest to the camera is the one that turns the distributor.
The bottom gear is the crank shaft, the chain ties the crank shaft and the cam shaft together.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-instal-43603/
Originally Posted by olerenshaw

The bottom gear is the crank shaft, the chain ties the crank shaft and the cam shaft together.++++

Thank you for that information - I am not used to this and apologies for not giving more detailed information, the engine for which the repairer claims does not use a timing belt is a 2.5 diesel. According to the manual I have it has a belt but the repairer assures me twice that it does not. Are there any 2.5 diesels without belt or do I need a different vehicle repairer?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Team Owner

Yes the diesels use a timing belt on Land Rover.
I have no idea about the "city lights" (those are the bulbs behind the headlamps)

Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unstable
I've heard of a few instances of people (myself included) having to do timing cover gaskets and they noticed a fair amount of deflection (play in the chain) whilst having everything exposed. I didn't bother even looking to see if the RAVE CD had the specifications posted...I just replaced the chain while I was in there. But as others have already stated, you don't typically replace the chain, I'm not even sure how much of a benefit replacing a chain that has deflection in it is going to do on a motor with say 80K on it...Considering you've got cam wear, lifter/pushrod wear etc. It might tighten up the timing a little and benefit you some...
We Disco owners can be **** though, especially with some of these jobs...if you ever have to do a timing cover because of a coolant leak (and you're not a professional mechanic), you're going to replace everything you possibly can while you're in there...waterpump, timing chain, thermostat, belts, hoses etc...
Yup.
Spike even used my pictures!

Quick Reply: Timing chain on a 2004 Discovery - life span