Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip: Prolonging the life of your window regulators.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:44 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tip: Prolonging the life of your window regulators.

After messing with the removal/install of front passenger and driver side window regulators, I noticed a few things that may help prolong their life.

1. Take off the door panels and add some lithium grease to the guide trays that house the plastic guide wheels.

-- This isn't too hard to do. Just pop off the door panel and grease them up. There is one under the window, and one on the inside of the door closest to the striker.

2. Don't roll your windows all the way down!

-- From what I can tell, the reason they both failed is b/c the stop on the regulator was shaved down by the arms movement. This obviously happened over time, from the arm hitting the stop. Eventually it was worn down enough to allow the window to pass by it and be force-stopped by the bottom of the door. In turn, it cause the binding/breaking of a guide wheel and it snapped the 3 spot welds on the regulator gear arm.

If your regulators haven't failed yet, I suggest you grease them up and stop rolling them all the way down. I now leave mine about 1/2" above the door sill.

HTH.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:46 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Tip: Prolonging the life of your window regulators.

Also, I can replace a regulator in about 20mins. If anyone in the Memphis area needs some help with theirs, let me know.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tip: Prolonging the life of your window regulators.

yeah the window regs suck on discos. mine broke couple months ago and luckily there was a 97 disco at the local junk yard. took that reg and put it in my 2002 disco. worked great till that one broke or spot weld broke. so i had a welder buddy reweld it.i think the motor will go bad before that new weld breaks. lol he did a great job.