Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque App for Android Review

Old 08-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Torque App for Android Review

Hey guys,

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a Scangauge II for a while now. I have been having some voltage issues and needed to see if my voltage was constant. Locally, they sell the Scangauge at CampingWorld...for $169 plus tax. Since I am "frugal" (read: cheap) I thought I would try the Torque app made for Android and a Bluetooth OBDII device. The best Bluetooth device is the Kiwi, but I opted for the cheapo Amazon device. It costs $25 plus shipping. In this case, I had it overnighted since I love instant gratification. Total cost $45 for the Bluetooth OBDII reader and like $5 for the app. So I have $50 invested in this set up. First, here are some things the Torque app will do:

- Read AND reset codes
- GPS Log Data
- Real time reading of a ton of stuff (will go over later)
- Many different skins to match the Rover
- Video recorder that overlays Speed, HP, RPM,s, etc... (for when we are doing the 1/4 mile in rovers)
- Graphing of captured data

So here is what I know works so far on the DII as far as realtime data:

- RPM
- MPG (instant and average)
- Intake air temp
- Coolant Temp
- Volts (from obd)
- Speed (from gps)
- Engine Load
- Fuel Trim Bank 1 Sensor 1
- Fuel Trim Bank 2 Sensor 1
- Fuel Trim Short Term Bank 1
- Fuel Trim Short Term Bank 2
- O2 Volts Bank 1 Sensor 1
- O2 Volts Bank 1 Sensor 2
- O2 Volts Bank 2 Sensor 1
- O2 Volts Bank 2 Sensor 2
- Timing Advance
- Mass Air Flow Rate
- Turbo Boost and Vacuum

Torque has 7 windows where you can put the different dials in any position and configuration you want. All the data is logged and you are able to send the log via email. Also, the screen remains on while the app is running (which on my Thunderbolt sucks the battery in about an hour!).

Attached are some screen shots of the app while running.

So far Torque is awesome. I have had no issues with either the app or the Bluetooth adapter. I will keep checking the other options to see what else works in real time and report back. If anyone has any questions or comments, or want to know if it does "this" or "that", let me know and I will go check it out. So far, I am pleased with the setup and saved myself over $100...that's a lot of beer.

Attached Thumbnails Torque App for Android Review-main-screen.jpg   Torque App for Android Review-second-screen.jpg  

Last edited by humroot; 08-13-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:53 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool, thanks for sharing.

How does the Bluetooth device hook up to the OBD-II?

Old 08-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Cool, thanks for sharing.

How does the Bluetooth device hook up to the OBD-II?
It plugs right into the OBDII port under the steering wheel. I found that since the plug is on an upward angle, it actually doesn't get in the way at all...you can barely see it. It gets it's power form the OBDII port too so no wires. Here is a pic of the device:

Attached Thumbnails Torque App for Android Review-obdii-adapter.jpg  
Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the same setup and have had some problems. I did buy the blammo ELM327 Bluetooth OBD II off of Amazon so that could easily be the problem. When it works, it's really great. I mainly have it so I can watch the temperature. I like that it can clear drive cycles too though... very handy right before an inspection.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Winching

I love mine, use it for long trips. The only issue I have had so far is my bluetooth phone speaker sometimes knocks the ODB sending unit off. I can usually tell because my temp will stay at 194 even when sitting still. I usually have to restart the application.

Other than that it works fine. I like the graph data it keeps as well.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Very cool App. Works great for monitoring engine temp, rpms, and digital speedometer. I have had issues translating some of the OBD II codes.

Here's a link to my setup...
https://landroverforums.com/forum/au...ay-more-39981/

Old 08-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

hmmmm... like the setup you got logic....

Old 08-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Three Wheeling

I've got Torque along with the ebay bluetooth adapter. I've got a friend with a Snap On scanner and a Mac Tools scanner at the house. Neither can read Land Rover's extended codes ($1200 for the Snap On upgrade).

Torque allows you to input custom PID's. I found a list of the Land Rover ones here: Land Rover Discovery II: Proprietary OBDII Codes > Northwest Overland Society > Most Recent

We need a easy way to input these PID's to Torque. I'm amazed how there's no home-grown software to do this for the Rovers. I'm guessing it's proprietary code reasons?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

I've got the torque app on my Evo and my Dell Streak 7", the same bluetooth adapter and I really like it. Gives pretty good real-time info, pulls and clears codes really well on my buick I like it better on the Streak, probably because of the 7" screen though..

My rover's to old for this new fangled stuff lol

Old 12-09-2012, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

Hi. I know this thread is rather old but very interested in confirming if the Torque app + adapter root can offer similar features as the Nanocom.
I understand that humroot setup is on a TD5, I want to use it on a 2003 automatic model.
I am particularly interested in the "Read AND reset codes" feature. Is that similar to the Nanocoms ones as far as you know? I've heard that D2 support of OBD2 code is only limited and this means you might only get basic information.
Also, can engine map resets be done with Torque? Or ABS and other errors reset?
Many thanks.

Last edited by luison; 12-09-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque App for Android Review