Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing 98 Discovery behind a motorhome

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:23 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing 98 Discovery behind a motorhome

I have looked everywhere but I cant find the answer to this question.
Can a '98 Discovery be flat towed (all 4 wheels on the ground) behind a motorhome
or will it cause damage to the car?

Old 07-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Towing 98 Discovery behind a motorhome

Make sure the transfer case is in neutral, you should be ok.....

Old 07-22-2007, 09:35 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

Make sure the transfer case is in neutral, you should be ok.....
Thanks for the quick reply...Can you tell me how you base your answer?...I would like something a little stronger than "should be ok". I would hate to tow it and then find out the transfer case foamed or something

Old 07-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know for sure, I just know if you tow one, the T-case should be in neutral. Not such a big deal with all four tires on the ground. Honestly, I don't know.

Out of curiosity, why do you want a 3 ton tow vehicle? Are you driving to an offroad site?

Old 07-22-2007, 10:52 PM
3rd Gear

We use the Discovery as a daily driver. The plan would be to take the motorhome camping for a month about 100 miles from home. Then use the Discovery for daily use. We just bought it so are not sure if this plan is feasible or not

Old 07-23-2007, 07:27 AM
4wd Low

We tow a 2001 Disco behind our Motorhome regularly. Just pulled it from California to North Carolina. Putting transfer case in neutral and transmission in neutral too does the trick. BEWARE of one thing. It is possible to get the neutral lamp indication with the transfer case not actually disengaged. (This is a switch alignment issue.) Test transfer case neutrality by putting car in gear. I had to replace a transmission ($3K) when I assumed the dash light was telling the truth!! Towed less than 10 miles inadvertantly in low transfer case position and spun all of the sprag clutches to pieces. One other note: You must leave ignition key in the #1 position to unlock steering.

I also use a Towmaster proportional braking device ($1K) to help stop the combined vehicles. Works like a charm as long as towed vehicle battery stays charged, ususally a full day of driving.

ChuckD

Old 07-23-2007, 07:43 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked my manual and it said

1. Set the main gear box and tranfer box in neutral.(no light with a Disco I)

2. Ensure the differential lock is in the unlocked position.

3. Turn the starter switch to I to unlock the steering and leave in this position
while the vehicle is being towed.

4. This is where it tells how to hook up the frt end not needed with a tow bar.

5. Release the parking brake.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:06 AM
1st Gear
Default Flat towed and ruined transmission

[QUOTE=Landzu;31944]I checked my manual and it said

1. Set the main gear box and tranfer box in neutral.(no light with a Disco I)

So In the 1996-1998 Discovery 1 owners manual it says what you wrote... I did that( main gearbox (transmission) in neutral and transfer box(case) in neutral unlocked. 700 miles later the reverse and final drive are gone, it needs new trans. Now... It could be that at a previous comment mentioned that somehow the gear box was not in neutral but as stated there is no light and I seriously doubt It was not in fact in neutral. BUT! Here is the big thing... I bought a 1999.5 Disco 1 to replace it... And in that 1999 disco 1 owners manual it states to put the main gear box(transmission) in Park, nothing else changes in the manual than that.... I tow in Park with my 98 and 99 Disco and it has not had an issue... Soooo did rover realize it's manual was jacking up trans so they fixed that one word typo that cost hundreds of trans... Thx rover. Anyway. If anyone ever wonders the proper way to flat tow a 1995-1999 Discover 1 is with the main shifter for transmission to be in "PARK" and the transfer case(diff lock) to be in "Neutral, unlocked/open"(**** centered to the right hand side) I've towed 4 discos thousands of miles and only damaged one from listening to people online say neutral and neutral... Wrong. Park And neutral for any awd with a center differential. Cheers mates!

Old 08-08-2021, 06:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Makes sense...

Transfer case lubracation is provided by gears picking up oil and it being dispersed.

Whereas...

Trans is lubracated by front pump, which is driven by torque converter. Letting the transmission main shaft rotate, while towing would be a mistake...it isn't getting lubracation at all. Putting/Leaving transmission in "park" would make prefect sense, stops main shaft from rotating.

When we tow a vehicle in from a breakdown with a wrecker, manual or auto, if further than 20 miles...we disconnect drive shaft.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Exclamation

My Disco II owner manual page 119 shows to put transfer box in neutral and main gearbox in park. Behind a motorhome is mentioned on page 120. Check your '98 Disco I manual or use the other forum.

Last edited by Externet; 08-08-2021 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Towing 98 Discovery behind a motorhome