Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Funny Noise, Need Help

Old 10-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Funny Noise, Need Help

Well the first two months of ownership have been a blast, my wife and I love driving the truck I always wanted and she gets to drive to work (ha ha ha). We have our first Land Rover "quirk" in the form of a very strange noise. The noise can best be described as a windshieldwiper going across a dry windshield, that is not the case, itskind of whistle but not really, very whiney, I hope this makes sense.The noise seems to be coming from the rear of thetruck and happens at all different times there is no way to reproduce it, but to be in thetruck when it happens. The truck is at the dealership now and they called to tell me its just the big safari rack whistling, I said no thats impossible as I have heared it while the car was at a stop, and if it was the rack it would be constant at speed (plus the rack IS noisey at high speeds). They are going to keep it longer and try to reproduce the sound but the rep left me uncertain of any resolve. The car was bought CPO so this is warrentied.

Has anyone had a noise like this, any ideas? Thank you in advance, as I have said forums like this really help more than anything when it comes to keeping owners loyal and happy, we all really can help each other, I really apriciate it.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Very Funny Noise, Need Help

Do you have rear a/c, try turning it of just incase it is the rear blower motor.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Overlanding

I thought that might be it but I leave it off all the time. I also checked to see if the wiper gear in ther was stripped and would not turn the wiper arm but that is fine also.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

are you positive it is coming from the rear of the truck? How long does it last? Water pumps can make this noise when they are on the way out. RPM has to be low, and it will whine after you shut the truck off. Just a thought...

Old 10-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Overlanding

no I am fairly sure its the the back of the truck and it happens only while driving, no whine after its shut off, its a quick noise, honestly it really sounds like an old wiper across a dry windsheild.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Maybesomething to do with rearair suspension? If it has it.

Willie

Old 10-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Overlanding

I do have the air suspension so that could be, I'll ask them to inspect that tomorow

Old 10-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That was my next guess too.....

Old 10-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Overlanding

Well I have not played with it yet but like I said I will have them check it out in the morning. Thanks guys.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Overlanding

well we've returned from the dealership with no answer, they could not duplicate the noise, figures. We are taking it back bext week as the passenger side seat heater is not working and they are going to fix that under warrenty, I could care less but my wife likes her butt warm when I drive, and before anyone says but you live in Florida, we go to North Carolina and Virginia quite a bit.

Also rather then post a second thread, when the dealership dropped off the car (nice service feature) and picked up their loaner LR3 (not my kind of truck btw) they left the service papers in the car, and just gave my wife the keys, no conversation or anything. When I got home from work a little while ago I was reading over it and they hae marked the fluids level box and state imediate action must be taken, not having been told anything I called them up to see what was wrong and why they gave me the truck back if there was a problem, they state the transfer box is leaking and they have ordered parts, they just forgot to mention this to me, I have not seen fresh oil in the driveway but I have many stains from workign on my BMW's and out old Land Cruiser so I wouldnt notice them anyway. Are we ok to drive the truck, the dealership say its fine but I dont believe what they tell me? I know about the silicone gaskets so ok, thats fien they will fix it via warrenty but other then that any ideas? Thanks again guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Very Funny Noise, Need Help