Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with a Disco

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 11:22 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with a Disco

I've got an F150 that I use to trailer my TR-6 on occasion, and I'm thinking about selling it and using the 03 Disco for that. Combined trailer and car weight is right around 4000#. It's a couple of times a year, usually long-ish, maybe 500 miles each way. I live on the eastern side of the Sierra's with some serious grades. So, bad idea? OK idea? I know it's not really a great idea. Anyone have experience towing with their Disco?

Old 07-31-2015, 01:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I do--4000# travel trailer (just moving it around), 3000# open trailer, and approximately 3000 pound uhaul. First one has its own brakes, second one no brakes, and third one surge brakes.

I wouldn't recommend it.

A Rover can handle it, but you will be excruciatingly slow, your short wheelbase will be an issue, and the brakes (if trailer is not equipped) are inadequate--surge brakes are even worse than no brakes for us. Also, unless you are very careful with the weight distribution, your rover will squat without load leveling, which is not recommended (but works fine for me); and if you get the weight off the rover, the trailer will wag you.

Ive towed these things short distances on relatively level roads and it is a real adventure. I don't know about the gears... maybe someone else can chime in. I know that in Europe they use rovers to tow things, but they are generally small trailers and diesel engines (from what I see on TV).

Last edited by Charlie_V; 07-31-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

^ these reasons alone are enough by themselves. Plus, you're really risking your transmission. I've driven through the Sierras using a suburban pulling a trailer and it was rough on that. I wouldn't do that if I were you.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:30 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've towed a 19' boat on an unbraked trailer with a Disco. It was in Florida and only around town. I would not recommend towing a heavy load with a Disco. The biggest issue is the relatively short wheelbase. In panic stop situations the trailer wants to push the truck around, which is dangerous. I consistently tow my dirt bikes on a trailer up and down the mountains in Colorado here and that's fine, but no way I'd trust my TR-6 behind it.

Cool car by the way OP... I had a GT-6 for a while

Old 08-01-2015, 10:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The previous owner towed a small airstream with my truck, and I've had to replace both diffs, and I have at least one bad wheel bearing. This trailer was technically within the tow capacity of the truck, but actually far too heavy to safely tow IMO.

That said, I have towed a uhaul trailer full of furniture halfway across the country with no issues.

So, i think weight is the main problem, and i think Discos are significantly overrated for towing. I'm convinced that Discos are not good for towing over 2000 lbs. The drivetrain just isn't up to the challenge.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyote
I've got an F150 that I use to trailer my TR-6 on occasion, and I'm thinking about selling it and using the 03 Disco for that. Combined trailer and car weight is right around 4000#. It's a couple of times a year, usually long-ish, maybe 500 miles each way. I live on the eastern side of the Sierra's with some serious grades. So, bad idea? OK idea? I know it's not really a great idea. Anyone have experience towing with their Disco?
I have towed lots, maybe in excess of 20K miles in total with an average trip of say 2K miles, with a 2003 D2 TD5 and a trailer loaded to a gross of 3500kgs and average speeds of say 65mph. (50-80mph) and maintaining the same speeds uphill or downhill using cruise control. Never a moments problem with the D2.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

I've got an '03 V8 with no rear sways. I pull probably twice a month with trailers that are 16-20 feet long and weigh between 1500-3500 pounds. She is slow pulling and sometimes works a little up Hill, but no real problems as long as you keep the weight on the tongue. If you have a braked trailer then that's even better, install a controller and set the brakes just barely a little heavy so the trailer doesn't push you in an emergency stop situation, you'll be golden. the only time I've ever had a problem was when I didnt have the weight on the tongue. You probably will want to upgrade your rotors at some point though. I've got the all makes drilled and slotted on all four corners and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I have a controller and the non recommended sway bar and leveling bars for my travel trailer and it works. But, again, not recommended.

There are also very inexpensive air helper springs you can get... air up yourself (not automatic) for certain Ford springs... I worked out which ones some time ago... and they will keep you level.

Alex, do you have the drilled and slotted or just slotted? Been looking at them...

Old 08-02-2015, 09:49 AM
Camel Trophy

I've got the drilled and slotted. Absolutely love them. I drove my Disco like a sports car on back mountain roads, slamming the brakes into every curve and nailing the gas coming out. I've over heated then twice to the point where they turned blue and smoked for about 20 minutes while I sat for them to cool off, but they've never warped or cracked at all. That said, if you drive like an idiot like I do, pull over for about 10 minutes when you start to smell them. Once you smell them you're about two hard brakes from having them fade. I'm using Federo pads with them right now, but I'm going to try some akebonos next time around.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:26 AM
Camel Trophy

Just figured this was relevant to the discussion. Yesterday I had to pull a 3,500 lb horse trailer with 60 bales (~3,600 lbs) of hay up the side if a mountain and then down the 4 lane, and the trailer has no brakes. She did 50 up the side of the mountain and just a hair over 55 down the 4 lane with no trouble going or stopping. She didn't sway, wobble, or push the truck too much. As long as I accelerated slow and stopped early she was perfect. Again, this is with 32" tires, stock gears, and no rear sway bar.

Obviously, I'd recommend brakes for anything that's 7000+ lbs just for safety sake, but even without it didn't give me a lick of trouble. No sway, no wobble, a little bouncing's over bumps because of my dead factory shocks, and never passed 3500 RPM even up the side of the mountain at 50.

Name:  3LTFJNX.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  977.9 KB

Last edited by Alex_M; 08-04-2015 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Towing with a Disco