Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer Wiring Harness

I am trying to hook-up a trailer to my 2003 discovery II. I looked under the bumper and I noticed a plug for a trailer wiring harness. The problem is this plug is flat and has six very small connectors. I have no idea what type of connector this is. The dealer harness is very expensive is the entire thing. All I need is some type of adapter. Does anyone know what I am talking about? I will post up a pic for you to look at. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:00 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trailer Wiring Harness

Not sure what you are looking at. The trailer harness plug is located behind the R/R upper tail lamp assembly. Remove it and you will see A plug with A blanking plug in it. Yeah the Factory kit is crazy $. No need for that.

All you need is A standard converter to switch between the European system and USA. Available at most auto/trailer stores. Be sure to use the type of crimp connectors that are shrinking type. IE; you heat them up after crimping and the shrink around the connection to make A water proof connection.

Old 04-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Mudding

Thanks. I am just confused on what this other plug is for. I have a shop here in town that can hook up a harness kit for me. Thanks again.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Mudding

I solved the mystery of the 6 pin plug. It is the Rear Parking Distance Control plug. Of course, I do not have that in my vehicle so the plug is just hanging there. Anyway, I ordered a wiring harness from Atlantic British.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

i just bought a plug i needed and taped it into the wires behind the pass. brake light, you will have to use a tail light converter for the fact that it has seprate turn signals from the brake lights, there like 8 bucks or something. Very easy wire job to do. Use a test light or there is a wiring code on discoweb.org, good luck! oh yea, total cost to wire for trailer including trailer brake's, aux. power at trailer plug was just under $20.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: mikemeyer0

i just bought a plug i needed and taped it into the wires behind the pass. brake light, you will have to use a tail light converter for the fact that it has seprate turn signals from the brake lights, there like 8 bucks or something. Very easy wire job to do. Use a test light or there is a wiring code on discoweb.org, good luck! oh yea, total cost to wire for trailer including trailer brake's, aux. power at trailer plug was just under $20.
I went the easier yet more expensive route. Atlantic British has a harness that you simply plug in behing the pass tail light and TADA - you have a working harness!!

Old 04-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

yea, i looked at it and it is a tail light converter with a plug that meets the factory wiring. I found a place that sells that plug for $3, (after i cut mine off the car) and the converter is like $8. $11 to make what AB sells, some things are cheap there but some things they rape you. oh well. At least you got it done.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:37 PM
Mudding

I figured it could be done for less, but since this is new territory for me I decided to go with this source. A local hitch shop was going to charge me $135 to hard wire it in themselves. Compared to that price and the OEM price, AB isn't too bad. If I had more experience with this vehicle I am sure that I could have done the way you described. Anyway, thanks.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle

kool, $135, maybe i should go into the business.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Mudding

No doubt. Everyone is a criminal!!

Quick Reply: Trailer Wiring Harness