Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Temp Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 07:59 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Temp Light

Hi everyone,
I just picked up an 01 D2 with about 155k miles. I have had the trans temp light come on a few times for a short moment (think 30 seconds or less) in either stop in go traffic or after sitting in a drive thru. I live in Florida where the temps right now are in the 90's during the day. Transmission shifts fine and the transmission filter fluid/change done by the previous owner about 5k miles ago. In addition the car just had a new radiator installed (Nissens brand) so I'm not sure if that affects anything as I believe that there is a trans temp sensor on oil cooler behind the radiator. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also I have the Service Engine Soon light on for p0441 (purge valve). I had the purge valve replaced with the Bosch valve (just the valve not the hose assembly). there doesn't appear to be any cracked lines. after clearing the code the light came back on almost immediately. do i have to bite the bullet and replace the whole $400 assembly? or could it be something else.

Last edited by andrewd; 06-16-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm not sure about the trans temp. You'll probably have to test the sensor itself or the wiring.
Usually when you get codes that come back immediately, it's a wiring problem. You could try unplugging the connector on the valve and make sure you've got 12 volts on one of the wires. (12v with the key on)

Last edited by disc oh no; 06-19-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,403 Likes on 1,003 Posts

There is a temp sensor in the bottom of the trans oil cooler and one in the transfer case - one is lighting the trouble light. They are wired in series so you can't really tell which one is giving the signal without disconnecting it and testing it with a meter. If the transfer case is low that could be a correct indicator, otherwise it is probably a bad sensor.

Does it come on right away, or do you have to drive the truck for a while? If it is right away it is probably a bad sensor. You can get to the trans cooler one from the right front wheel well, just have to remove one inner plastic panel on the front left side of the well.

Pics all over the net - do a google search. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2016, 03:53 AM
4wd Low

The light comes on within about 10-15 minutes of driving during the day when sitting in heavy traffic or sitting in gear. As soon as you start driving rather than sitting it goes away.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewd
The light comes on within about 10-15 minutes of driving during the day when sitting in heavy traffic or sitting in gear. As soon as you start driving rather than sitting it goes away.
See PO changed fluid/filter, have you verified level correct?

Last edited by number9; 06-19-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,403 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Based purely on the conditions it is coming on you cannot say for sure it is a false positive, so best to check the level in the transfer case and transmission.

If you can get a known good spare sensor and plug it in to the connector for the one in the radiator that will tell if you if it is the radiator sensor or transfer case (it will not reach critical temp level in the open air). Based on that you can change the correct one.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:29 AM
4wd Low

Had a local shop look at it and there opinion was the transmission is just worn out and they would recommend replacing it. They said it was possible that there might be debris in the transmission cooler and they could flush it out and replace the sensor but no guarantee that would help and it would be a $600 gamble.

Last edited by andrewd; 06-25-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Drain/Fill it yourself. It'll take 6qt without dropping the pan/filter. I will never trust a shop's opinion on a LR unless it's a LR shop!!!!!!!! They honestly give you a horrible diagnosis or high price either because they don't want to touch it or they think it's a Range Rover... and you poop out gold bricks...

What do you have to loose? You'll either fix it, or you won't and if you don't you won't be any worse off than you were before. The draining is a breeze, but the refill will be kinda messy, but it won't be that bad. It should take 4qt pumped into it, then start it shift thru the gears, and while it's running pump in the other 2qt's. When it starts coming out steady install fill plug and take it for a drive.

An entire good working transmission off of Ebay would be 300-400.00 and they aren't that hard to drop/install if you have a friend with all the tools needed.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

All good advice up there from Best. I would only add: make sure you remove, or at least loosen, the fill plug before you drain it. Draining out the fluid and then not being able to re-fill it would be bad.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:53 PM
4wd Low

The shop is quite familiar with Land Rover's, they are Euro specialty shop. I might try replacing the fluid but it was just done a few thousand miles ago at a LR specialty shop. And the transmission shifts great, even the shop mentioned that it shifted with no issues.

If not as you mentioned it looks like used D2 transmissions are pretty inexpensive.

Last edited by andrewd; 06-25-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Trans Temp Light