Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transfer case is leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default transfer case is leaking

I have been having some drops in the driveway for a few months now. Lately it is almost turning into a small puddle. It looks like it is comming from the inspection plate. I noticed that there are no gaskets that can be bought for it so should I use some type of seal a gasket. If it is a quick fix I think that I will do it tommorow. If anyone has done this before please let me know how you did it. I searched the forum but no luck. Please help.

2000 disco 2

Old 01-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: transfer case is leaking

Malmberg, I had the same leak about 6 months ago and used a product called "White Shepherd", I found it at Advanced Auto. If I remember right I pulled some of the gear oil out, put in about 3 ounces of White Shepherd and topped off. Absolutely no leaks since,(knock on wood). Good Luck!

Old 01-04-2009, 02:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 99 DI. It was leaking from a seal on the front side of the transfer case. I used the white shepard porduct with great results. No leak, no transfer case issues. It was about $30 for a plastic bottle about the size of a coppertone bottle. It was a pain to get it into the transfer case access. I finally used some surgical tubing and poured it in. Took about an hour or so of driving around and no more leak. There were some on the forum that were shocked that I would add anything non-oem to the Tc but it is working great and I figured if I needed to do a reseal, what could it hurt. Best of luck. By the way, I got mine at Kragen but noticed that it wasn't on the self yesterday when I was in buying some tranny fluid. You can find them on the web, they also make a product called blue devil and red angel, here is the company link http://www.gouniversalproducts.com/

Good luck. Phil

Old 01-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Or you can pull the inspection plate, clean it all up and use a tube of good gasket sealer.
One way ot the other, you only have 2.2 quarts of gear oil in the case when full, you could be low enough now to be burning up bearings so do something ASAP. Drain all the old fluid out and replace it once you repair the gasket.
If you use the White Shepard, change your gear oil first.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just changed the oil in the tranfer case about 1000 miles ago so can I drain it into a container and reuse it. Or would it be contaminated. I think that I will pull the plate and reseal. It looks like an easy enough job. Thanks for the ideas from everyone.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

NEVER reuse a fluid after you drain it out, your drain pan is dirty, your funnel is dirty...if you were in the jungle and the only fluid that you had was used, fine. But your not. You are in your driveway 15 min from new gear lube.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Ditto, why risk exrta contamination in the t/case, you are only looking at 2.2 quarts of gear oil.