Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case and linkage sucess

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case and linkage sucess

I finally decided to swap out my 03 transfer case for one that locked. I found an 04 at a local yard and they told me they had the case, lever and all the linkages. I was excited. When I get there, they had the case, lever but the 2 cables were cut. I bought the transfer case anyway thinking I would figure something out. They actually gave me the lever for free since the cables were cut. To my dismay, all of the other junkyards had cut the cables in their haste to take out the transfer cases. My 03 obviously had the cable for the hi/low operation, but I definately did not want to climb under the truck every time to lock the transfer case. I had half (the half that hooked to the transfer case) of the cut cable from the 04 transfer case along with the bracket. After measuring, I figured out that both cables are the same as far as how they connect to the lever but the ends that attached to the transfer case were about an inch different in how they connect to the bracket and lever and the transfer case. I figured if I made a bracket for the diff lock that was an inch longer than the original it could work. I went down to home depot and bought some 1 1/2 angled aluminum (I used aluminum because of lack of tools to work with steel). I actually just put the old bracket on the aluminum and slid it 1 inch further back from the end of the aluminum, clamped it with a c-clamp and traced it on the aluminum. I pulled out the hacksaw (I told you I did not have the right tools) and began cutting. After my crude cuts, I drilled the holes ( yes with hand drill not a drill press, again not the correct tool). I don't even have a vise (I actually just got one) I actually just again c-clamped the bracket to the cut and drilled aluminum and proceded to hammer the angle to match the old bracket. It was very crude but I was proud of my handy work. My son kept telling me it looked a little ghetto. But he was very happy when we hooked up the hi/low cable from his transfer case to the diff lock of the new lever and new txfr case and it worked well (it is really his truck, not mine). I actually have a picture of the aluminum bracket if anyone wants to see it I will be happy to post (but a little embarrassed). The next day I found another 03 hi/low cable at a junkyard and purchased it. We brought the cable home, finished the install and am happy to say it shifts very smooth (much better than my 95).

Old 06-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No reason to be embarrassed at a bit of "creative engineering" - it's very much in the spirit of Landrover, after all.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

nice. good to go. not a beauty contest, under there my cdl is about 3 different pieces of scrap junk and a figurine, that turns it. ghetto works just fine.