Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Cooler Relocation Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler Relocation Mod

I'm thinking about changing and relocating the transmission cooler to fit in front of the condenser or below. I thinking about installing an electric fan between the condenser and radiator to assist in cooling. I live in Las Vegas and the temps here are 100 plus in the summers and it's nice to have the AC on while idling too without coolant temp slowly raising. Has this been done before?

Old 02-08-2016, 10:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

That approach seems pretty complicated. If you put a fan in between the condenser and the radiator, you are drawing hot air and blowing into radiator, and not achieving much. I was thinking of replacing the fan/clutch with a more powerful 2 speed fan, like the one that Alex_M installed. It is off like a 96 taurus and pulls something like 4500 cfm. It pretty much is a drop in solution, freeing up some hp. The fans are on eBay, new, for about 80.00. A controller can be used to come on at whatever temp you desire and the 2nd speed can be hooked up to turn on when the a/c is turned on. That along with the 180 thermostat or the in line thermostat mod should keep the temps well below 200.
Just my thoughts, mind you.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Thanks Joe!

Yep, the fan I have keeps me pretty consistently below 200. Not all the time, but I also have the ****ty motorad thermostat that I've yet to replace with the inline. I use my truck for all kinds of things, including heavy towing (7000+ lbs) in the summer. Most I've had on her was 7600 lbs (horse trailer, load of hay, no trailer brakes, back mountain roads as well as highway driving) and I've never had any issues with overheating.

Also, I'm almost entirely against most additives, but water wetter really does drop your coolant temps by a few degrees (low-mid single digits).
You don't even really need a controller. I mean, you can use one. They're cheap, like $30. However, if you're on a tight budget then get a fan out of a 3.6l mustang on eBay (same fan as the Taurus, slightly different shroud which will make a bit of a difference, but not a TON. Spring for the Taurus fan if you can afford it.) and just power it through a relay hooked to your accessories circuit.

Follow the link in my signature and you can find the write up I did on the mod.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:29 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if your worried about idling with the ac on, why not add a second condenser fan.
took me all of two hours to install two condenser fan motors