Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tricky Dick - Rally Rover V1

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Tricky Dick - Rally Rover V1

Summary: Tricky Dick, or rather the owner, likes to catch air as well as go sideways. Yes fun stuff!!

The challenges I am facing are:

1. Rough Road code
2. Traction Control

I want to disable or rather have the ability to turn these on and off via a dashboard switch but, I can't find a thread on the topic.

If you happen to know of a thread on this topic please put the link in your reply even if it is on another forum.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Summary: Tricky Dick, or rather the owner, likes to catch air as well as go sideways. Yes fun stuff!!

The challenges I am facing are:

1. Rough Road code
2. Traction Control

I want to disable or rather have the ability to turn these on and off via a dashboard switch but, I can't find a thread on the topic.

If you happen to know of a thread on this topic please put the link in your reply even if it is on another forum.
is the rough road code (1) affecting your tc (2) and giving you the (3) amigos? (chuckle...sorry, slow morning )

Old 03-09-2017, 10:27 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by jamestfl
is the rough road code (1) affecting your tc (2) and giving you the (3) amigos? (chuckle...sorry, slow morning )
Sort of...Yes. Basically I want to be able to disable, as needed, and enable once I am done jumping and drifting Tricky Dick.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

Just wire up a relay for the power going to the ABS unit.

Your transfer case is going to hate you a lot.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:20 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Just wire up a relay for the power going to the ABS unit.

Your transfer case is going to hate you a lot.
can you elaborate? Also, can I leverage my option b hack for the relay.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

Sorry for the short reply up there. I was in class.

Essentially breaking traction and having any wheel spinning faster than any of the rest is the same as running a different size tire over working your transfer case and leading to premature failure. Don't get me wrong, I've done the whole drifting the Disco thing and it's a hell of a time. Actually, here's the video. It's just not something I would do regularly unless you've got the transfer case locked.

Not sure what you mean about leveraging the option B for the relay. Do you mean hooking the Option B wire up through the relay? If so, that should work.

It should also be noted, you should not leave it turned off for long periods because if you do the ABS error will get permanently logged in the SLABS unit and you'll end up needing an ABS scanner to clear it before everything works again.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:48 PM
Pro Wrench

Essentially breaking traction and having any wheel spinning faster than any of the rest is the same as running a different size tire over working your transfer case and leading to premature failurelocked
Don't care as all kinds of stuff will be breaking before that

Not sure what you mean about leveraging the option B for the relay. Do you mean hooking the Option B wire up through the relay? If so, that should work.
Yes, that is what I meant and thanks.

It should also be noted, you should not leave it turned off for long periods because if you do the ABS error will get permanently logged in the SLABS unit and you'll end up needing an ABS scanner to clear it before everything works again.
Noted

Old 03-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Pro Wrench

Ok...so I need to hack the ECU or find another approach to get the rough road disabled and not fiddle with the ABS as it will toss codes.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:24 PM
Pro Wrench

Update

I talked with a reputable mechanic that has done a fair amount of turning wrenches on Land Rovers. He feels that if there is a work around that Tricky Dick will still lack the power to do what I want to do.

Since Tricky Dick is all fixed and in fine working order, I am considering selling and looking into a Range Rover with a super charger.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Update

I talked with a reputable mechanic that has done a fair amount of turning wrenches on Land Rovers. He feels that if there is a work around that Tricky Dick will still lack the power to do what I want to do.

Since Tricky Dick is all fixed and in fine working order, I am considering selling and looking into a Range Rover with a super charger.
well that sucks for tricky dicky but sounds like dirk diggler is upgrading

Quick Reply: Tricky Dick - Rally Rover V1