Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to remove rear diff pinion flange

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to remove rear diff pinion flange

Does anyone know how to remove the rear diff pinion flange without the LR tool specified in the RAVE? I am trying to change the seal but can't get the centering pin out of the flange to get to the nut.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:40 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jalodge
Does anyone know how to remove the rear diff pinion flange without the LR tool specified in the RAVE? I am trying to change the seal but can't get the centering pin out of the flange to get to the nut.
What have you tried so far to remove the pin?.............. The other thing is to get a new centering pin and use vice grips to remove the old one with some heat if necessary. The problem is that all damned manufacturers put everything together 'dry' with no release agent or grease so the next person has a struggle taking things apart. When I did my rotoflex coupling the centering pin came out easily but I was lucky. The pinion nut is also very tight due to the torque wrench settings needed so you will need a method to hold the flange or wheels.

Watch video around 8.10 onwards. Ashcroft Transmissions

The outer bearing race of the cardan (Hookes) didn't though!!!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Rock Crawling

I tried the screw through the socket technique but stripped the threads in the pin.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/47742463/3...Flange-Removal

Old 04-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Weld something to it and beat it off.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Rock Crawling

I was thinking of drilling and tapping the pin to try to save the centering pin. Where would I be able to buy a new one if I do break it?

Old 04-14-2014, 04:51 PM

It seems everyone around the world has a problem with these centering pins/spigots. It would appear they are held in with Loctite so you need to break that seal using something like acetone or cellulose thinners to dissolve the Loctite overnight. Then heat up the flange and pull with a slide hammer or make up a tube puller but you may need to tap out to something around M12 to get a real 'purchase' for an extractor bolt. Short of this there is the LR 'special' tool which you can hire or take an angle grinder to the flange and split it as a last resort being careful not to damage the pinion shaft. Good luck and post how you get on - I've got to do mine sometime and I'll need a 'guinea pig' to lead the way and who has endured the fight with this PITA.

Loctite - the Maintenance Expert

You may get some ideas from these threads

Help with rotoflex/drive shaft upgrade - DiscoWeb Message Boards

removing rear pinion flange - Australian Land Rover Owners

Land Rover Owner • View topic - Rear Diff Flange Puller - LRT-51-008

Rear diff pinion seal on 300TDI Discoveries - Land Rover Technical Archive - LR4x4 - The Land Rover Forum

Old 04-14-2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by jalodge
I was thinking of drilling and tapping the pin to try to save the centering pin. Where would I be able to buy a new one if I do break it?

An LR main dealership should be able to supply one. Try Atlantic British or Rovers North as they may well stock them as the problem cannot be unique - I hope.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:13 PM

Look at page 51-7 of the RAVE Workshop Manual and they show an LR special tool for removing the centering pin/spigot. It should be fairly easy to fabricate something similar using say a 3"-4" diameter x 3" long pipe with a heavy steel plate say 3/8" tack welded to one end with a hole in the center and put a high strength 8.8 bolt through the hole screwed into the spigot and use it as a tube puller. Put plenty of lube on the threads though. also washers under the bolt head with lots of moly grease to avoid seizing. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Look at page 51-7 of the RAVE Workshop Manual and they show an LR special tool for removing the centering pin/spigot. It should be fairly easy to fabricate something similar using say a 3"-4" diameter x 3" long pipe with a heavy steel plate say 3/8" tack welded to one end with a hole in the center and put a high strength 8.8 bolt through the hole screwed into the spigot and use it as a tube puller. Put plenty of lube on the threads though. also washers under the bolt head with lots of moly grease to avoid seizing. Good luck.
I tried making the puller but it only stripped the threads inside of the pin. It looks like I can try drilling it out and tapping a larger hole for a bigger bolt.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:41 PM

PITA

Soak the pin in acetone/cellulose thinners overnight to release any Loctite engineering adhesive they've used it breaks down the polymers.

What diameter is the pin size that sticks out of the flange where the central thread is located?

Quick Reply: Trying to remove rear diff pinion flange