Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uh oh. Bearing behind fan clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Uh oh. Bearing behind fan clutch.

I definitely shoulda kept my mouth shut about the Disco having zero issues at the moment. What was i thinking?

The bearing behind the fan has play.

Forgive me for the ignorance, is this the front cover?

Video uploading and will show what I'm talking about.

Fan clutch seems great. Its the bearing behind the pulley.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:52 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

That's the water pump bearing. Mounts to the front cover, but just the water pump gets removed/replaced.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OverRover
That's the water pump bearing. Mounts to the front cover, but just the water pump gets removed/replaced.
Ooh, that sounds like disaster averted.

Here is a clip of the movement. Don't like it at all.

https://vimeo.com/164288241

Old 04-26-2016, 12:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Easy fix. Last time I said the disco was doing good my CPS went out, I broke the harness end of the plug, and I had to replace the fuse box. Oh, and I had to work outside while it was snowing and 20 degrees.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:16 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by cappedup
Ooh, that sounds like disaster averted.

Here is a clip of the movement. Don't like it at all.

https://vimeo.com/164288241
Yep, water pump. When you get the belt off it's going to look/sound like this >

Old 04-26-2016, 12:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Easy fix. Last time I said the disco was doing good my CPS went out, I broke the harness end of the plug, and I had to replace the fuse box. Oh, and I had to work outside while it was snowing and 20 degrees.
Its wrong of me to chuckle when you say that, isn't it?

So, reading up, its 'normal' to swap the fan clutch as well at the same time? But mine really is fine. temps are fine, feels fine. I kinda want to leave it be.

Im surprised my water pump isnt leaking through the front, with this amount of wobble.

I can find this guy on Amazon.
Amazon.com: Diften 399-A4704-X01 - BRAND NEW LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER DISCOVERY WATER PUMP & GASKET: Automotive Amazon.com: Diften 399-A4704-X01 - BRAND NEW LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER DISCOVERY WATER PUMP & GASKET: Automotive

Fast delivery. Metal rotor/pump/spinney bit.

Is there a better option?

Does the gasket want any rtv or some such during installation?

Thanks guys.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OverRover
Yep, water pump. When you get the belt off it's going to look/sound like this > Land Rover Bad Water Pump - YouTube

Great, thanks for the confirmation. It already has quite a pronounced clunk. Glad I spotted it before it went nuclear on me.

Ha. they want $170 fro one in AutoZone. http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heat...?checkfit=true

Realised the one on amazon doesnt have fast shipping. Hmmn.

Last edited by cappedup; 04-26-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:32 PM
TReK

" Is there a better option?
Does the gasket want any rtv or some such during installation?"

For the pump STC4378 I've had very good results with the Airtex brand(brass impeller). They look like this> Range Rover Discovery Defender Water Pump Airtex STC4378

As for RTV, not in 25 years plus of owning these pigs. Just a little grease, or go nuts and get some permatex high tack gasket sealant(#80062) to hold the gasket in place.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Not wrong at all! Just means atleast one positive thing came from my misery. Haha

That is normal, but if your clutch is solid then I wouldn't worry about it. I would, however, worry about the fan if it's factory original. There was a slew of them on the forum a few months ago that exploded within weeks of each other taking out power steering pumps, radiators, fan shrouds, etc when they went. Old age got to them. Now, whether or not to put the old one back is up to you, but when all that went down I decided I wasn't going to be next and I spent about $70 to do an electric fan conversion. Gave me 1 mpg and peace of mind that I wasn't going to get stuck beside the road with a trashed engine bay. There's a link in my signature to the write up.

As for the off brand pump, I've heard of hit and miss results. I agree with... whichever user it was that just posted to buy the one with the brass impeller. I think Lucky 8 has them and they will likely give you a forum member discount. Can probably even do fast shipping for you, though you'll probably have to pay extra for that.

Originally Posted by cappedup
Its wrong of me to chuckle when you say that, isn't it?

So, reading up, its 'normal' to swap the fan clutch as well at the same time? But mine really is fine. temps are fine, feels fine. I kinda want to leave it be.

Im surprised my water pump isnt leaking through the front, with this amount of wobble.

I can find this guy on Amazon. Amazon.com: Diften 399-A4704-X01 - BRAND NEW LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER DISCOVERY WATER PUMP & GASKET: Automotive

Fast delivery. Metal rotor/pump/spinney bit.

Is there a better option?

Does the gasket want any rtv or some such during installation?

Thanks guys.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

China Auto Car Water Pump for Land Rover (STC4378X) - China Water Pump, Auto Water Pump

Look at this. I you want to buy 200 of them, they cost $15 ea. LoL.

Quick Reply: Uh oh. Bearing behind fan clutch.