Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uh oh. Bearing behind fan clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 05:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

This is the pump you want. It's the Airtex with the brass impeller. Sold here via eBay by bputah. I don't know what's up with the bputah web site so I now go on eBay and search under their user name bputah*com. It's $136 with free shipping. Or you can call bputah and order it 20th century-style.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Range-Rover-Classic-Discovery-Defender-NEW-Design-Airtex-Water-Pump-NEW-/290713582674?hash=item43afe13c52:m:mN_Bx37Q8aj0J7o XhjCsqog&vxp=mtr

Old 04-27-2016, 06:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

When you get the belt off it's going to look like this
With the fan/clutch removed. Once that's removed loosen bolts holding pulley to pump prior to removal of belt.

Went with one of these for mine a few months ago.
More Information for ACDELCO 252851

Old 04-27-2016, 07:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
This is the pump you want. It's the Airtex with the brass impeller. Sold here via eBay by bputah. I don't know what's up with the bputah web site so I now go on eBay and search under their user name bputah*com. It's $136 with free shipping. Or you can call bputah and order it 20th century-style.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Range-Rover-Classic-Discovery-Defender-NEW-Design-Airtex-Water-Pump-NEW-/290713582674?hash=item43afe13c52:m:mN_Bx37Q8aj0J7o XhjCsqog&vxp=mtr
Thanks for the link. I've got an Airtex one ordered with Lucky8. Which was significantly cheaper than 136.

Looking at the photos online I'm convinced I can see the airtex one is better machined than those with steel stamped impellers. I'm also tending to think they will use a better bearing. I hope anyway.

Downside is wait time. They are not in stock yet. Job for next week.

The following users liked this post:
WNYErikDiscoII (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Don't be bashful. You can let the world know they are $85 for forum members. We aren't shy like that.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
Don't be bashful. You can let the world know they are $85 for forum members. We aren't shy like that.
Excellent deal there and wish known a few months ago. Ya'll rock.

The following users liked this post:
WNYErikDiscoII (04-29-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 10:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

There's me thinking it was a deal just for me.

You used to make me feel special, Erik.

Sniff.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
There's me thinking it was a deal just for me.

You used to make me feel special, Erik.

Sniff.
It's ok. Your mom still says you're special.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Erik.

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Not wrong at all! Just means atleast one positive thing came from my misery. Haha

That is normal, but if your clutch is solid then I wouldn't worry about it. I would, however, worry about the fan if it's factory original. There was a slew of them on the forum a few months ago that exploded within weeks of each other taking out power steering pumps, radiators, fan shrouds, etc when they went. Old age got to them. Now, whether or not to put the old one back is up to you, but when all that went down I decided I wasn't going to be next and I spent about $70 to do an electric fan conversion. Gave me 1 mpg and peace of mind that I wasn't going to get stuck beside the road with a trashed engine bay. There's a link in my signature to the write up.

As for the off brand pump, I've heard of hit and miss results. I agree with... whichever user it was that just posted to buy the one with the brass impeller. I think Lucky 8 has them and they will likely give you a forum member discount. Can probably even do fast shipping for you, though you'll probably have to pay extra for that.
Those fans exploding. I remember that. I'm more inclined to believe that they may have been coming apart due to something else. For instance the water pump bearing finally giving out and slamming the fan into the shroud. Watching mine wobbling around. Or the shroud itself making contact with the blade. I dunno. Just my intuition.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So, it's water pump day.

Finally get the fan nut off. First time. Tried jamming the rag inbetween the belt and pulley. Pulley was still slipping. Had to release belt tension with a spanner on the tensioner, so I could jam the rag in more, then it was held enough

Following my joy of that coming off. I realised I hadn't undone the pump pulley bolts. With a bit of messing about, they also gave up.

So, first question. The old gasket is RTVd. Some people say use a bit, some people say none? What's the latest?

Name:  818401FB-BCD0-48BA-95B7-78C04CABC54E_zpsqds4j62k.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  114.8 KB

Second. What's that electrical connection conveniently placed below the bit that might leak?

Name:  9F6FFF97-3017-4B8C-A75C-C9ABEFFFC8F7_zpstwjsyz5z.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  175.4 KB

Oh, my pump was leaking through the the bearing, tiny bit, hadn't realised, thought it was my top hoses after inline stat I did.

Pump was horribly rough, and draggy.

Time to get busy with a blade to get the old gasket off. Grrrr. That looks boring.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Crikey. This gasket has turned into an indestructible ceramic style substance. Thought I'd be able to get at it with a Stanley knife blade. Doesn't want to know.

Any tips on softening it up? What can I spray it with?

Gotta be careful not to scratch the mating surface on the block.

I'm gonna have to go get one of those Stanley knife scraper type things.

The old gasket is in such good solid condition I wish I had just smeared a bit of RTV on it and reused it. Now I've started scraping I've got to finish it.

Last edited by cappedup; 05-12-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Uh oh. Bearing behind fan clutch.