Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultragauge or ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultragauge or ?

I bought a 99 disco II a couple months ago for my daughter. The last couple weeks the temp gauge seems to have a mind of its own. It normally stays right in the middle but sometimes the needle goes up (still in the normal range) and then goes back to the middle. It's sporadic, sometimes at idle sometimes while driving uphill, downhill, level, etc. I don't think it's actually heating up but.....

I've read about people talking about ultra gauges and scan gauges...

I would like a simple one to keep an eye on the actual temp.
Not sure what one I need or that works with a 99.
Any info or even a link to one would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1st off.. that temp gauge is a politician. do not believe it. normal is anywhere from 130* all the way up to something like 230*. 230*=bad news.

i love my ultragauge. some like it more than the scanguage. other are opposite.

ultra-gauge.com

Old 04-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 04-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Drifting

Ok so an ultragauge is an ultragauge? I don't need a certain one specific for a 99 disco?

I'm looking for a basic (cheap) one that is simple to use.

bcbp,
I did check the coolant level. It's where it should be in the overflow tank but I squeezed the upper hose and it feels like there is nothing in it. Is there a fill cap on top of the radiator like normal vehicles.....I didn't take all the plastic shrouds off but I couldn't find one.
Where do you fill these back up after draining the coolant?

Old 04-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Winching

no fill cap. it is filled through the expansion tank. must be done cold. lots of threads on that.

ultragauge will cost you less than 100 bucks. mine was 80 something with the window mount. its generic, but it can give you live information. here is an actual pic of mine. it will work on almost any vehicle. definately something every disco owner should have.

Attached Thumbnails Ultragauge or ?-1689932_787859324561148_1177816605_n.jpg  
Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracker
Ok so an ultragauge is an ultragauge? I don't need a certain one specific for a 99 disco?

I'm looking for a basic (cheap) one that is simple to use.

bcbp,
I did check the coolant level. It's where it should be in the overflow tank but I squeezed the upper hose and it feels like there is nothing in it. Is there a fill cap on top of the radiator like normal vehicles.....I didn't take all the plastic shrouds off but I couldn't find one.
Where do you fill these back up after draining the coolant?

When engine is cold, upper hose will be soft, no pressure, when warmed up the pressure builds and stiffens the upper rad hose.
BTW, ultraguage is what I use. Love it.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

x3 on the Ultragauge. lets you monitor engine temp and LOTS of other data pretty much real-time. can be as simple or as detailed as you set it up. was pretty easy to set up. easily the most important gauge/tool in or for my Rover.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Rock Crawling

Tracker... An UltraGauge is an UltraGauge. You are correct. There is no particular model for certain vehicles. Just one model, roughly $70 that plugs into the car. You can set up your screens as you see fit to show different readouts. There are 7or 8 different pages of screens if you want to program that many. I believe most of us put the most important info (engine temp) on page 1 and leave it there. Both of my D2's have an UltraGauge installed.

Attached Thumbnails Ultragauge or ?-image-813179682.jpg  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Drifting

Ok thanks for the info, I'll order one.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:02 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My 99 would creep up occasionally at idle in the summer.

When I bought it, it had full records, including a head gasket job from Great Basin Rovers. GBR also replaced coolant hoses and the water pump.

What they didn't replace was the T-stat. It was corroded and stuck. I'd hit 220F going up mild inclines at 40mph. My 4.0 was another head-gasket time-bomb waiting to go off.

I believe you will find the same thing when you install your ultraguage.

If you want your daughter to keep this car for a long time, seriously consider the TD-5 180-degree T-stat swap. Genuine rover part, fairly cheap, and extremely simple to install.

15-minutes later and I don't see temps above 194F, ever. Usually 188~190. Much safter on the head gasket and your wallet.

Last December proved to be a typical Utah Desert cold spell. Multiple days hitting as low as -20F, highs not much higher. Heater still got warm fast, so don't let people talk you out of the 180F stat because "your heater will blow cold." Because it will work just fine. It won't throw codes either.

Good luck and enjoy the Disco!

Quick Reply: Ultragauge or ?