Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under-hood Chirp, Condenser Fan?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under-hood Chirp, Condenser Fan?

I have a 2004 Se7 80kmi and it has had only a couple of problems so far. The first being a chirping sound like a cricket from the front of the car, it seems to be coming from the condenser fan. I have read all over that people say it's belts and pulleys and I have not found anything saying that that fan makes that noise or many people having trouble with it. If that is the case how much can I look at for replacing it and are there alternatives. Also there is a knocking/tick that's pretty steady and does not really increase too much with acceleration. If the vehicle is at idle or in neutral it really does not do much of anything as far as changing speed of the tick/knock. It seems like it's coming from the bottom of the car, more than likely an exhaust leak but still an opinion would be nice. Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited by akanigit; 09-27-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Mudding

My guess would be the belt for the chirping noise as for the knock you really need to track that down and make sure its only an exhaust leak get back to us when u do

Old 09-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ROVERTECH15
My guess would be the belt for the chirping noise as for the knock you really need to track that down and make sure its only an exhaust leak get back to us when u do
I plan on crawling under the truck tonight and checking all of the bolts etc. I guess it could be the belt but it just seems like a strange noise for a belt to make, it's not a high pitched squeak it sounds just like a loud cricket chirping. I will take your advice and go ahead and replace the belt this week, thanks!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by akanigit
I plan on crawling under the truck tonight and checking all of the bolts etc. I guess it could be the belt but it just seems like a strange noise for a belt to make, it's not a high pitched squeak it sounds just like a loud cricket chirping. I will take your advice and go ahead and replace the belt this week, thanks!

yeah mine did the same thing and it was the belt.No problem glad i could help let me know what u find with the tick/knock

Old 09-27-2010, 02:40 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be one of the idler pulleys or the tensioner pulley also.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Overlanding

Well I finally got everything checked out and this is what I have found. The ticking was a mainly an exhaust leak which turned out to be some loose bolts. I did get my oil changed a few days ago which produced another ticking that turned out to be coming from the drivers side valve cover and this is verified by my trusty screwdriver and ear. The chirping sound was not the belt and turned out to be the condenser fan (the fan behind the grill on the radiator) after all. So now I need to find a good replacement and time to pull that little troublemaker out. I figured I would throw out an update and see if there were any suggestions for type of fan and should I also flush my engine out to see if it quiets that tick or is it just a part of life now?

Old 10-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Mudding

As for the tick, mine does it it hasn't gotten worse and only gets better for about 100 miles right after an oil change, I believe that it's a part of life for Discovery II owners.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your tick has a lot to do with the oil they used.
5w-30 from a quick lube is the wrong oil for these engines.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Your tick has a lot to do with the oil they used.
5w-30 from a quick lube is the wrong oil for these engines.
It was mobile 1 5w30 synthetic, what should I change it to?

Old 10-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

10w-40 is better suited for these engines.
Mobil 1 is not a full synthetic oil either, it is a dino base stock with synthetic additives, same with the other "full" synthetics that you can buy anywhere.
The true full synthetics are Royal Purple and Amsoil.

Quick Reply: Under-hood Chirp, Condenser Fan?