Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Gaskets, Front Crank Seal, T-Case Input Seal

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Valve Cover Gaskets, Front Crank Seal, T-Case Input Seal

Had the Disco ('02 with 109K) into an indie Rover shop to sort out some oil leaks that I noticed when I bought the truck (at 106K). They found a couple spots where i'm dripping and they gave me quotes on the fixes totalling $1695.94 out the door. I recently switched to Rotella 5w40 full synth with a K&N 3001 from high mileage. I didn't lose much oil in between changes, but the underside of the truck stays pretty wet.

1. Valve cover gasket replacement - $494 + parts/supplies. (I tightened the valve covers as others have suggested, power washed the engine. So far I haven't seen any new drips, fingers crossed)

2. Front Crank Seal fix- $285 + parts/supplies

3. T-Case Inpute Seal fix - $570 + parts/supplies
(I think I'll let the shop handle this one since the T-case has to come out)

My questions are how hard or involved are the valve cover gasket replacement (if tightening experiment fails) and/or the front crank seal leak fix? Or should I just leave this whole job to the pros?

I'd consider myself on lower/middle end of the mechanical spectrum mostly due to lack of experience, but I can pull things apart and get them back together well enough and I have read over the RAVE and it seems straight forward, but a lot of things look easy on paper. I'd like to try and tackle it if it's do-able for a newb like me to save a big wad of cash money.

Thanks in advance for your input guys/gals.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:13 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Valves covers are easy I would definitely do that one by yourself, you need to remove the upper IM, while you are in there do your valley pan gasket also. Do the front seal yourself too, do your front cover gasket and water pump gasket while you are in there as those will leak eventually. I did all these things as an ameteur/"never done them before" just using the rave CD. I bet the transfer case seal is not that bad either if you have the time.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I am sure that this will get a negative reaction from some on this board, but try something before you sink 25% of the value of the truck into fixing a few leaks. Try a product made by Universal Products called White Shepherd. I put a bottle in my transfer case two years ago and it stopped leaking in about 2 hours of driving. 12,000 miles later and it is still dry as a bone. I also developed what turned out to be a rear main seal leak. Nothing severe but it was bugging me. I put in a bottle of White Shepherd and bingo, leak stopped. Truck is running great, no leaks from the transfer case or the rear main seal. I had an indep. shop change my front main seal two years ago, $110 parts, labor and taxes. $300 seemed rather steep. I have no connection to White Shepherd by the way. Anyway, it worked for me with no negatives so far....The also guarranty that it will do no harm. Good luck. Phil

1999 DI
2001 DII

Old 01-25-2010, 09:23 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can try white shepherds it works best on the kind of seals you are talking about, it wont help with your rocker covers though, those you can try to just snug down though.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

2x on everything above, if I'm not mistaken the t-case has a vent line......if that is plugged ...it will leak.....go ahead with the white sheapard but while your'e down there check the vent line to make sure it's not plugged.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree with the above, keep the v/c gasket bolts tight, using an 8 mm 12 point 1/4" drive socket. Don't over tighten, just snug them up at every oil change.
The company that makes White Shepherd makes some really good products, give them a try, check out their web sit at " gouniversalproducts.com"

Old 01-26-2010, 10:24 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thank you

I'll start picking up all the parts and supplies you guys suggested, and hopefully I'll have some free time in the next few weekends to get going on all this stuff. Thank again for all your input you guys rock!

Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 AM
kae
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snugging down valve covers 2003

Mike,

Is there a way to snug down the inner valve cover bolts without removing the upper intake manifold on a 2003? Having a bi*** of a time getting to mine.

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I agree with the above, keep the v/c gasket bolts tight, using an 8 mm 12 point 1/4" drive socket. Don't over tighten, just snug them up at every oil change.
The company that makes White Shepherd makes some really good products, give them a try, check out their web sit at " gouniversalproducts.com"

Old 02-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Second on the "Check the PCV valve" comment.... I was getting a bit of leakage hear and there... I tightened the outer valve cover gaskets, still got a bit of leaking, and ended up cleaning out the PCV.... I consumed a lot less oil, and the leaks all but stopped...

Old 02-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kae
Mike,

Is there a way to snug down the inner valve cover bolts without removing the upper intake manifold on a 2003? Having a bi*** of a time getting to mine.
I know on my 01 you can't get to those bolts without removing the upper intake. It shouldn't be a problem though as they typically leak from the bottom and not the top. Just snug down the bottom ones and you will be good to go.

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Gaskets, Front Crank Seal, T-Case Input Seal