Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to replace that ugle brake boot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Want to replace that ugle brake boot?

Well it is very simple if you want to sew.

You will need some fabric that you will like and will function in the vehicle without getting snagged or anything. So materials like leather are to thick. denim like materials work best but what ever suits you is fine. (don't use anything thin or else you will have problems later). You will also need some epoxy or crazy glue (I prefer epoxy), thread and needle, some pins, and some paper clips.

First off remove the ugly brake boot. There is a rubber ring holding it to the handle itself, be careful not to break it, mine had some play to it but I don't know where to find a new ring if you do break it. Maybe a hair tie?

Once off you will have this thing

There is only one part that actually is stitched together and it goes from the handle to the base and you can take it apart with a knife or thread puller. You will also have to pull the glue they used apart, don't worry if you tear anything, you just need the basic shape of it. Once apart it will look like this.

Now, using your new material and some pins to hold down the old material, make a new piece of fabric to use for the boot.

After tacking it down, cut it out. You should have something very similar to this.

Feel free to clean the edges if you want but most of them will be hidden so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Now remember how the basic shape of the boot was put together and go ahead and stitch the front seam together first.

After that line up the little wire frame and go ahead and mix some epoxy

Now you will be gluing all the edges together to hold the fabric around the wire frame. Be careful not to use to much, as it will soak the material and be chunky, but not such a little amount that makes terrible surface contact. (maybe try practicing on some scrap material to see how it reacts?)

Now after gluing things together, use paper clips to hold things together while it is setting.

Now you can clean everything up and go ahead and reinstall.

This is what I got -

Now I hope that everyone can follow my crude instructions but personally, I was so tired of that piece of junk flaking everywhere that I was willing to try anything. This is pretty easy is you have ever done some arts and crafts. Overall I probably spent about $15 and about 2 hours worth of my time getting materials do doing the work plus 30 minutes to dry the epoxy. Overall I'm happy with it and I hope it works for anyone else who tries it.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I got lazy and just ordered a replacement, that being said your's is a great idea especially if you want to use some different type of material.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I like even more are the two screws holding the center console switch panel together.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a guy on ebay who sells the replacement boot for the brake and shifter pretty cheap

Old 05-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Ah, I guess I didn't see it. All I could find was the original replacement that costs like $80 or something. I thought that was crazy and just decided to make my own.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Here you go..

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
Ah, I guess I didn't see it. All I could find was the original replacement that costs like $80 or something. I thought that was crazy and just decided to make my own.
LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 200 300 TDI TD5 V8 SET GREEN ST | eBay

Old 05-22-2012, 06:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice work!!

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I got lazy and just ordered a replacement, that being said your's is a great idea especially if you want to use some different type of material.

Micro suede is nice to work with.

Name:  P1010053.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  52.2 KB

The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (08-27-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 09:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear Moderator,
Some of the pics no longer work for this post. Can this be resolved or can someone make a new 'how to' post?

Old 01-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

The images are hosted externally so the original poster would have to re-upload and re-link the images. As for someone else doing a write up, well, that's up to anyone else willing. Should be simple though, I'd say you could follow along without pictures.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by petminded
Dear Moderator,
Some of the pics no longer work for this post. Can this be resolved or can someone make a new 'how to' post?
One of the first jobs I did is remake mine out of thin leather.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/swap-ratty-old-handbrake-gator-nice-leather-one-69341/

Pics still work

Quick Reply: Want to replace that ugle brake boot?