Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What 180 thermostat can I buy for the Inline Thermo Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, the gates hose will replace your lower radiator hose, but will have to be cut to fit.

Re: thermostat - get a jiggle pin one, and forget the holes. in a hot climate, the inline therm mod will throw a code if you drill out too big. I forget the number, but basically it allows too much difference between temp sensors and the ECU gets annoyed.

I did this setup on my last 2002, and in phoenix, where its hotter than the devil's skillet, it stayed pretty darn cool even with AC on. 201-202 idling.

Debating whether to go this route, or the rover gray one on the newest disco.

There are a couple good writeups on here with pictures, have them handy on your iPad when you start this. If you have all the parts, it takes under 2 hours.

One word of caution - when you do this the first time, you will have a leak.

Or two. Or three.

Fill your system with distilled water the first time around, and drive for a bit. Leaks will come up, and you won't be spraying coolant all around, and distilled H2O is about $0.75/gallon.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:21 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Hard to believe a Stant Superstat - 45858 would be hard to find. They fit 1967-1997 Hondas. Nissans and Isuzus.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay guys so I have all of the parts now to do this job. One question though. I have no idea how the felpro12994 gasket fits into the new thermostat housing. It also looks like I would have to cut it to make it fit inside the thing to. Doesn't really seem like I need it.

Can someone clear this up for me?

Also, spring side goes towards the engine? And the rubber o-ring that comes with the meziere housing sits in the female half right?

Old 07-30-2015, 02:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Haha okay actually nevermind. I realized the rubber o-ring slides onto the themostat. Never messed with any other type of thermostat than the stock DII's before.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Try to use the opportunity when playing with hoses, to implement a coolant drain at the lowest point.

By the way, ----> 90 Degree Inline Thermostat Installed. Photo by Innernet | Photobucket

----> 90 Degree Inline Thermostat Parts Photo by Innernet | Photobucket

Old 07-30-2015, 05:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Externet
Try to use the opportunity when playing with hoses, to implement a coolant drain at the lowest point.

By the way, ----> 90 Degree Inline Thermostat Installed. Photo by Innernet | Photobucket

----> 90 Degree Inline Thermostat Parts Photo by Innernet | Photobucket
yikes, I like that one better for bleeding air.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:40 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
I have no idea how the felpro12994 gasket fits into the new thermostat housing. It also looks like I would have to cut it to make it fit inside the thing to. Doesn't really seem like I need it.
that gasket is for a D1 thermostat housing.

Yes, spring towards the engine.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
yikes, I like that one better for bleeding air.
The best way to bleed air is not needing to bleed air...
----> In-line Filler Neck Photo by Innernet | Photobucket

Old 07-30-2015, 11:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Externet
The best way to bleed air is not needing to bleed air...
----> In-line Filler Neck Photo by Innernet | Photobucket
You've got some good ones. I want.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Alright guys well as far as I can tell I've installed everything correctly but my temperatures have not improved. The spring is pointed towards the motor, every hose clamp is buttoned down.

I replaced the temperature sensor while I was in there. When I got it all started up again the ultra gauge was saying that the engine was only running at 110F. Which had to be BS so I put the old sensor back in and got better readings.

I'm going to up to 210 faster than I did before the mod. I revved the motor to try and circulate the coolant but it only had a minimal effect of a few degrees. I found a leak in the coolant expansion tank. Its leaking at the bottom where I sealed it off years ago. I bypassed the throttle body..

Please chime in with suggestions as far as what to check. I've bled the system a few times now. The expansion tank is dripping coolant but I can't see how its responsible for these temperatures.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 07-31-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: What 180 thermostat can I buy for the Inline Thermo Mod?