Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:42 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Today I was so excited to get my lower manifold and valley pan gasket back on. Attempting a non leaking top-end I was super focused on cleaning all the matting surfaces and sealing everything to perfection. After completion and in awe of my excellent work I took this photo only to realize there was something critically wrong. Can anyone spot my mistake?

Old 08-18-2016, 06:58 AM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

Heads are on the wrong sides according to your markings. But I thought they were interchangeable.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:37 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mollusc
Heads are on the wrong sides according to your markings. But I thought they were interchangeable.
They are on in the correct orientation. I just marked them from the drivers perspective.

I forgot to insert the tappets and push rods!!

I'll have to disassemble it and get a new valley gasket and ends and do it all over again. What a bummer.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:38 PM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

We can't know that the tappets aren't installed. Pushrods can be dropped in after the heads are in place.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:59 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrHSE7
They are on in the correct orientation. I just marked them from the drivers perspective.

I forgot to insert the tappets and push rods!!

I'll have to disassemble it and get a new valley gasket and ends and do it all over again. What a bummer.
Do you mean the lifters? Tappets, rocker arms, and push rods can be installed after you place the heads on.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:04 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the happy dance today!

Finally today after trying to do a drive cycle to get the EVAP sensor to kick on with no luck, I said what the heck, drove it to DEQ. They passed it! Tomorrow I go and get it titled and licensed.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:51 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mollusc
We can't know that the tappets aren't installed. Pushrods can be dropped in after the heads are in place.
Hmmmmm. I guess thats another thing I didn't think of.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:53 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by coastie
Do you mean the lifters? Tappets, rocker arms, and push rods can be installed after you place the heads on.
YES. Lifters is indeed the proper term.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

I'm a little behind following this thread, but yes, the pushrods and rocker arms can be installed after the lower intake --- if you're careful. I think I made the same error when I did the headgaskets on my truck six years and 48,000 miles ago.

It's really not that difficult. Insert each pushrod through its hole in the head maintaining the correct angle to contact the lifter cup. A little wiggling and looking at the angle of the pushrod should confirm you got it into the right position. Gravity will hold them in place (mostly) as you perform the next step. After you've done that with all eight pushrods on one side very carefully set the rocker shaft in place and get the rocker shaft bolts just started in their bores to hold the shafts in place. Then, as is says in the RAVE, "engage push rods" to ensure they are seated correctly in their recess on each rocker arm.

Again, you'll need to rely on feel and visual inspection to ensure each pushrod remains seated in its lifter cup. If one gets knocked out of its cup just put it back in place. A pushrod knocked out of place will not fall into the valley. It will just look oddly positioned.

Once this step is complete tighten the rocker shaft bolts per the RAVE, do another visual inspection and move on to the other head and the rest of the reassembly.

Last edited by mln01; 09-05-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:42 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coastie
I did the happy dance today!

Finally today after trying to do a drive cycle to get the EVAP sensor to kick on with no luck, I said what the heck, drove it to DEQ. They passed it! Tomorrow I go and get it titled and licensed.
Congrats! Always nice to be through one of these silly hoops!

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?