Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for when buying a Land Rover Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What year?

All of the info has been super helpful. I had a 95 D1 for several years and had your standard love hate relationship with it...

I'm looking again at another Disco. If one were to cherry pick a DII, is there a "best year" to watch for? It looks like if I could find a low mileage 2004 and planed the to swap a few drive line parts for serviceable units I'd be in business...

What's the availability on the third row seats? How difficult are they to retrofit or am I much better off getting an SE7?

Thoughts?

Old 07-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 03WhiteDisco
I doubt it has been done. I'm second owner, bought it with 38k. What kind of job is it? Cost, etc.? I am not a mechanic. Thanks.
If you do it yourself it can be done for well under $100, it can be a pain in the rump if you dont have the proper tools and have never done it before.
It you take it in and have it done you are looking at $200 give or take and I would say $250 is on the high end.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cmayes
All of the info has been super helpful. I had a 95 D1 for several years and had your standard love hate relationship with it...

I'm looking again at another Disco. If one were to cherry pick a DII, is there a "best year" to watch for? It looks like if I could find a low mileage 2004 and planed the to swap a few drive line parts for serviceable units I'd be in business...

What's the availability on the third row seats? How difficult are they to retrofit or am I much better off getting an SE7?

Thoughts?
It is agreed by all that the best DII is the '04.
You can make a 5 pass into a 7 pass but it is more money/time/work than it is worth, the floor from the 7 pass needs to be welded in place of the "old" non 7 pass floor.
So if you really want/need 7 pass hold out for one.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
If you do it yourself it can be done for well under $100, it can be a pain in the rump if you dont have the proper tools and have never done it before.
It you take it in and have it done you are looking at $200 give or take and I would say $250 is on the high end.
That's not too bad, thanks. I'll see if my guy can do it

Old 07-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Drifting

Old 11-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Rock Crawling

FWIW, I just had my front prop shaft replaced. Got a freshly rebuilt one off Craigs from someone who'd gotten out of the fraternity, for $100; clean, and with all the proper zerks in evidence. My mech put it in for me for $40.

The dealer (Dimmitt in Clearwater FL) had quoted me $1307 when they noted the bad U joints during the Used Car Inspection I paid them to do... and apparently quit paying much attention when I told them I'd have to think about it... cause they missed that the brakes were atrocious, and that the front end was squirrely, and that the front brake hoses were apparently in poor shape...

And they didn't provide me with a written checklist. Should I have expected that on a UCI? Cause I did...

Needless to say, I'm even less happy with them than I generally am with stealerships. Though they're not as far up the Dead To Me list as Bill Gramley's in St Pete, who nailed me for almost $700 (and 2 weeks diagnosis and parts avail) for the first part the mech laid a finger on (a CPS sensor, amusingly enough, since we have trouble with those too) on the BMW 635 I'm now selling as Someone Else's Project

Old 02-05-2010, 04:10 AM
3rd Gear

Great thread I am learning heaps. I own a 1995 Disco series I V8 Auto. I took it Four Wheel Driving and must say it was fantastic ride. However it is stock standard. I am inetersted in a lift kit and some have recommended 3" body lift others 2.5" suspension lift. Which option should I go for?

Also, as I am new how do I know that when I press that button on my dash that I am in 4x4 mode? I did try it and appears that the truck drove well up and down steap & rocky hills but then again I am used to manual diff lock as I know they are more reliable?

So before I go 4x4ing again how can I test that my CDL is working correctly and engagin in 4x4?

Any help and support would be appreciate.

By the way I love the SERIES I drove great off road and drives very well on road. Love these trucks. I will definately get another and highly recomemnd them.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't know what button you're pushing on the dash, but the '95's don't have any buttons that have anything to do with the drivetrain.

google:
rave + green oval
and download the manuals. Read the owners manual that's part of it.

Don't even think about a lift now, you need to drive it for 6 months or a year and learn it's good and weak points before embarking on any major modifications.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:22 AM
3rd Gear
Default Disco Series I lift kit

Thank you. The button I am pressing is looks like a highway
button. Which I thought engaged my 4 x 4 transfer case. Or are the 95
D1's constant 4x4?

Thanks for your help and info. I am interested in
a lift kit but don't know which option.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Discoveries are full time 4WD, just like it says in the owners handbook.
Like I said, if you don't have the owner's handbook, download RAVE and read the owners handbook, it will answer all (or at least most all) of the operational aspects of your Discovery.

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a Land Rover Discovery