Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Hub and Evil Light Trio

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 05:36 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Hub and Evil Light Trio

Have an '02 Disco SD7 w/62,000 miles purchased approx18 mos ago. Since purchase have replaced radiator, brakes/rotors. Approx 2 mos ago the evil lights came on and I didn't sweat it much because nothing had changed about the braking or other handling. However, over the last couple weeks I've had a grinding noise somewhere low under the engine compartment gradually increasing in intensity. Took to the nearest dealer who couldn't reproduce the noise and don't know what that is. However, they said the lights were due to the right front ABS sensor, which seemed to be damaged by "metal shavings" coming from the wheel hub "grinding." Guesstimate is $1200 US for repair. Would greatly appreciate input re 1) likelihood that this is the true problem, 2) likelihood that replacing the hub and sensor would be the right fix, and 3) likelihood that someone else could provide reliable repairs for less $. BTW, the regulator for the front passenger window broke last week as well (estimate $400) and the dealer wants $850 for the 60K service. My wife wants to cut our losses already and trade out. Please help! Thanks!

Old 05-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Wheel Hub and Evil Light Trio

Have you replaced the right front sensor yet? They often will collect metal shavings from using incorrect brake pads (those that are metal based). What brand of pads did you use when they were changed?

If you do determine it isn't the pads that are causing your sensor to fail and it is indeed the hub; its a very simple job to do on your own. You will need a basic socket set, phillips screw driver, one large socket for the hub nut (can't recall what size off the top of my head), a breaker bar, and some penetrating oil. One hub can be changed out in 30 minutes top. If you need any pointers or pictures let me know.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Three Wheeling

As for the 60k service... If you don't mind getting oily you can do it for FAR cheaper than $850. More along the lines of $200.

So doing the hub yourself and doing the 60k service yourself you'd save upwards of $1500.

Do the service and get to know your Rover!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree with Rondo, if you are at all mechanical, some of us can walk you thru yor issues and you will save some BIG $$$.
Let us know.
Mike

Old 05-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Drifting

-And I agree with Mike and Rondo!!!
Owning a Disco is very worthwhile as long as you take great care of her, as with anything worth owning. Unless something really goes down that makes you tow your Disco to a dealership, this forum and others like it should be your first stop to try to get some answers without anyone trying to take away your 401k. More than likely DiscoMike will help you out online or even have you call him, he has great knowledge and some very cheap parts sources.
If you dont have the tools or are seriously worried about something going out of your control you should research a local independent mechanic(make sure he or she is reputable)that has knowledge of these vehicles, heckdont wait untill then and start the research now. I can almost guarentee they will be cheaper than the dealership. The only reason Icould see taking your vehicle to a dealership is if your vehicle was still under warrenty.
Now dont get me wrong, Ive taken my vehicle to a dealership to have the engine replaced- I had just bought the vehicle and thought I had no other option. The dealership treated me like gold and even loaned me a 110 for a month while the engine was replaced. but.... It wasnt worth the hit in the wallet when i could have found an engine for $2000 and put it in for free w/ a case of Guinness and a three day weekend. -The only thing I do with the dealership now is go with them on their bi-annual Moab retreat and go off-roading.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: ArizonaDiscovery

If you dont have the tools or are seriously worried about something going out of your control you should research a local independent mechanic...
Or if you are near other members on this board with tools offer them beer and pizza to have a wrenching meet. I, for one, will change your hub with ya for a 6 pack of Corona.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Hmm.. Just checked your profile. NC is a bit far but there are tons of members in the area that would surely be glad to help out.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:12 PM
2nd Gear

OK at putting people together, not a lot of experience w/vehicles though. Also somewhat limited by time constraints given my line of work. Don't know what type brakes were used, but all work was done at the dealership in Augusta, GA. Thanks for the info... will look into some online sources for parts. Would also appreciate if any readers are in theFt. Braggarea.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Is there any way to test the abs wheel sensors to see if one is not working correctly?

Brian

Old 01-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Sure, with a good ohm meter, or better yet a lap top type scanner that can read the signals from the sensor.

Quick Reply: Wheel Hub and Evil Light Trio