Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wont Start, No Fuel, No Spark; New CPS, Rebuilt Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Wont Start, No Fuel, No Spark; New CPS, Rebuilt Engine

Good morning to all. I am having a heck of a time with this rover. 2003 Disco SE I completely rebuilt the motor and replaced many parts. Long list for now, but had two Certified mechanics help me plus followed the Big Rave and Overhaul Manuel vary closely. Was not hard if you have the rights tools, parts and know how. So there's one thing that stands out that I did. upon removing the Fly Wheel, it slipped and hit the CPS, plus it was completely summered in engine cleaner; it was really dirty.

Before I replaced the CPS, sorry; had my girlfriend replace it with her tiny hand yesterday. Two things I did, First pulled the fuel pump fuse to prime the oil pump for 5 secs three times and then put the fuse back in and tried to crank it. No start, secondly, I spayed starter fluid and it hit a few times so I know it fires. Well.......... I was trolling LR forums like an idiot and read to put the key in the first position and pull the battery..... and let it sit for a few mins. ( to clear the computer ??? ) Well that did nothing for my issue...

The next day the CPS was replaced and I went to start it. It sounds good cranking but nothing. Pulled the carpet back and checked the fuel pump with a multi meter. No juice. I check the fuel rail pressure, a little squirt and then nothing. Hot wired the pump and there was lots of pressure. Crank then nothing still. Checked the spark and no spark on both coils.

All fuse were checked and relays were swapped to see what it could be. Looking and testing with my meter all grounds and connections. Every thing looks right and It was running fine, well not fine but running before the engine build. I definitely removed the keys before the battery when starting this whole project.

So what the heck is going on???? Its like the ECU is locking it out ????? Could it be the switch when your vehicle flips over ? The name escapes me ATM, maybe its called the inertia switch. Sites on the RH / Passengers side firewall.

Read and tired every thing from this post: No Power to fuel pump, no spark, turns over. Seriously confused - DiscoWeb Message Boards Except hot wire the inertia switch or replace it. In that post some one asked if the security light is flashing. It is not unless I lock it with the remote. blinks not flashing while locked I believe is normal.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:25 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

have you jumped out the inertia switch?

The following users liked this post:
Redduc (07-29-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 05:47 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

CPS has to be put in just right.
Just redo it.
And get the spacing washers in.
You need to read the rave on exactly how to put in the CPS.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jfall
CPS has to be put in just right.
Just redo it.
And get the spacing washers in.
You need to read the rave on exactly how to put in the CPS.
X2 very important.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:55 PM
TReK

You will not get power to the fuel pump if the CPS is not working.
CPS gives pulses to the ECU.
ECU says "groovy man" and it pulls in the fuel pump relay.
Fuel pump relay gives power to fuel pump if the fuel pump relay fuse is good and yes
if the inertia switch is pressed in and engaged.

Once your CPS is in right - you'll be fine.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:57 PM
TReK

Yeah, you can't go thru life with a bad CPS.
Ruins your day.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ery+2+cps+rave

Old 07-29-2015, 09:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Talking Its Fixed !!

Hello, thanks every one for the reply's. I did look at the CPS again, started working on it right as I got off based on the stuff you guys said.

I'm here to say that I did indeed get it up and running. This thread is now resolved.

I had the spaces on the wrong side of the sensor. Had them on the inside, instead of the out side; pushing the sensor in closer to the fly wheel. The CPS (CKS) was not installed right but ...... I can not say with out a doubt that it causes the coil packs and fuel pump to shut off. I believe it did cause a major fault. However when I got it installed, no fuel pressure even after a few good cranks. I would say 6 full engine rotations. I traced the fuel pump relay(1) ground wire; not giving a signal to the coil /closing the gate on the relay. Followed that to the Main relay (9) that supply the ground wire to the fuel pump relay(1) that activates the coil. The main relay(9) looked like it to was not getting a ground signal. Looking at the rave electrical pdf, looks like that is sent from the ECM. Of course I check all fuses and rechecked them again, even cleaned them. The inertia switch at this time was just jumped and was rechecked for signal many times as the key was put in the second position a few times as well.

At this point I knew the ECM was not sending a signal so I plugged my OBDII WiFI connector in and read some codes. Had a few about my unplugging the fuel pump connector. Those were just pending tho, not stored according to Dash Command; an iPad app. So I plunged the connector back in for the fuel pump and retested the main relay ground signal because the OBDII was working and getting power obsessively . Bingo ! Got a signal from the ECM !!!!

What Happened ???? I have not clue but the engine did fire up with in a few seconds. End of story. Thanks every one !!!!

Old 07-29-2015, 09:10 AM
Mudding
Received 148 Likes on 68 Posts

Glad you got it sorted out - hopefully I'll have some luck with my truck.

Same problems - I'll go back and remove the CPS and reinstall it. I'm sure it's in there correct - sensor - spacer - nut.

In checking my truck, I did find that:

The fuel pump is not priming when the key is in position 2.

Fuel rail pressure doesn't hold for more than a minute, but when the pump is on it's 3.5 bar of pressure.

My spark seems weak to me, but there is spark. I checked the injectors with a noid light - they seem to be firing.

What fun I'm having!

Last edited by T-rex; 07-29-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:42 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

good luck with it

Old 07-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by T-rex
Glad you got it sorted out - hopefully I'll have some luck with my truck.

Same problems - I'll go back and remove the CPS and reinstall it. I'm sure it's in there correct - sensor - spacer - nut.

In checking my truck, I did find that:

The fuel pump is not priming when the key is in position 2.

Fuel rail pressure doesn't hold for more than a minute, but when the pump is on it's 3.5 bar of pressure.

My spark seems weak to me, but there is spark. I checked the injectors with a noid light - they seem to be firing.

What fun I'm having!
I had a 97 that the CPS was loss and hanging out a bit and causing all kinds of wired firing issues. 200,000 miles and never changed. just cleaned it and poped it back in. It had heavy oil and sludge on it.

Quick Reply: Wont Start, No Fuel, No Spark; New CPS, Rebuilt Engine