Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xyz??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Xyz??

I see people all over this forum talking about the XYZ switch. I was just curious as to what it is, why people are rebuilding/replacing this part, and what symptoms a failing XYZ switch would cause. Thanks very much.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

its a mechanical switch that sits on the side of the transmission. tells the tranny ECU what gear the transmission is in and lets it display it on the console. It has a rubber gasket that fails because an AC drain drips on it. It then fills with old water and dirt the contacts become soiled and no longer work properly and the signal is a mess throwing the truck into limp mode, where you get only 3rd gear and the M and S lights blink at you. if the contacts are not that rusted you can go in with some electronics cleaner and clean all the dirt and mud out , reassemble, reseal with silicone, and it should last another 10 years.

more info here

Rebuild D2 ZF Selector Switch UHB100190 - Australian Land Rover Owners

Old 04-23-2012, 01:22 PM

here are some pics from mine to compare with the link

Old 04-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Mudding

It's the neutral safety switch. Never heard it called an 'xyz' either.

That think can even cause the car to not start. Never saw it happen in a Rover, but I've seen it cause a Crown Vic to not start.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Discovery SE7
It's the neutral safety switch. Never heard it called an 'xyz' either.

That think can even cause the car to not start. Never saw it happen in a Rover, but I've seen it cause a Crown Vic to not start.
incorrect X2

the truck will start without the xyz in working order. It will instantly go into limp.

the safety neutral switch is in the middle console and keeps the transfer case from shifting from hi to lo gear without the tranny in neutral. It also can fail and keep you locked in hi or worse lo.

the brake light switch can keep you from getting out of park and into gear.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Mudding

Okay. Look at a picture of the neutral safety switch and look at the picture above. If it's not the neutral safety switch, it must be it's long lost twin brother. The way accessing it is described, it sounds like it puts you right under the console (exactly where the neutral safety switch is).

Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Mudding

http://static1.apwcontent.com/images...1651538OES.JPG

I hope this worked. Never posted a picture on here before.

It didn't work, so here's a couple links:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...3-1651538.html

http://www.amazon.com/OES-Genuine-Ne.../dp/B00279KSMW

http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepa...OVER/DISCOVERY

Even though it's a different angle, it sure looks like the picture above, and the rest of the world calls it a neutral safety switch.

Last edited by Discovery SE7; 04-23-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Discovery SE7
Okay. Look at a picture of the neutral safety switch and look at the picture above. If it's not the neutral safety switch, it must be it's long lost twin brother. The way accessing it is described, it sounds like it puts you right under the console (exactly where the neutral safety switch is).

not sure you understand. The XYZ as we call it in America or WXYZ as it's known in other markets is located on the side of the transmission attached to the shift cable. Yes in other cars it is referred Neutral Safety Switch. However on the Land Rover Discovery we already have BOTH a transmission AND a transfer case Neutral Safety Switch therefore the transmission is referred to as the XYZ or WXYZ and the transfer case is simply the Neutral Safety Switch.

Let me google that for you

Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
not sure you understand. The XYZ as we call it in America or WXYZ as it's known in other markets is located on the side of the transmission attached to the shift cable. Yes in other cars it is referred Neutral Safety Switch. However on the Land Rover Discovery we already have BOTH a transmission AND a transfer case Neutral Safety Switch therefore the transmission is referred to as the XYZ or WXYZ and the transfer case is simply the Neutral Safety Switch.

Let me google that for you
I'm not understanding. There is a Selector Position Switch that sits on the side of the transmission and connects to the selector. It's not called an XYZ switch, it's called a Selector Position Switch. This part is also called a Start Inhibitor or Neutral Safety Switch. The transfer box does have a neutral sensor, but it doesn't look like the neutral safety switch.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Mudding

To eliminate all of the confusion, someone can look in one of the manuals and get the real name for the part so we can all see which part people are calling the XYZ.

Quick Reply: Xyz??